Solved! Issues with GTX 1080 Laptop (MSI GT73VR 6RF)

falaxir

Estimable
Dec 18, 2018
Hello, i make this thread because i ran out of solutions to solve this problem. And i hope i am posting in the right place.

To explain, it seems that when the GPU get a certain temperature (or a certain load) the system crash.
But the gpu is still working (in certain cases, see the video below)

This begins when i was playing a game (gpu at 100% load) and then the screen suddently goes black and my gpu was not detected anymore, i get the error code 43 in windows 10.

Watch this video to see what kind of problem i have (and enable subtitles for my commentary) : https://youtu.be/9N_OnddU-ic

Specs of my Laptop :

MSI GT73VR 6RF Titan Pro
GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X Graphics (MXM)
I7 6820HK
16 GB RAM DDR4 2400 ( i upgraded to 32 GB )
17.3" FHD (1920x1080), 120Hz
Windows 10 Family x64

This is the list of all the solutions i have done :

. Uninstall drivers and then re-install (manually + from DDU + from msi support website + from nvdia website + from geforce experience)
. New thermale paste for the gpu (and cleanning)
. Cleanning the pc
. Flash Bios + Update (motherboard and gpu with ROM from msi support website)
. Clean Install Windows 10
. Updating / Reinstall other drivers
. Memory test (no errors detected)
. Reduce memory speed
. Remove my new ram stick (16gb)
. Reduce GPU clock speed

I precise that the Laptop is no longer in guaranty and i live for now in the Middle East so it is almost impossible to find a good "repair Laptop store". Also i upgraded my ram to 32GB with a 16gb stick (try to remove it to see if that was the problem but, that was not).
I also followed some videos like the video from JayzTwoCents : "His GPU stopped working... Can Jay fix it?" that was almost my problem but, that didn't help.

Thank you for giving your time to help me resolve this issue that i try to fix it since weeks now.

Solution
Since you tried clean Windows setup the issue looks to be overheating or a hardware issue with the system. Since system is not in warranty, there is really no good fix here without replacing the motherboard, I don't think the video card on it's own is removable. Did you monitor temps while the system is running and then crashes? Those video glitches all point to overheating or a bad video card.
Since you tried clean Windows setup the issue looks to be overheating or a hardware issue with the system. Since system is not in warranty, there is really no good fix here without replacing the motherboard, I don't think the video card on it's own is removable. Did you monitor temps while the system is running and then crashes? Those video glitches all point to overheating or a bad video card.

Solution