Itunes problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I own a Windows 7 64-Bit system, and recently i upgraded my Itunes with a new patch. Problem is, the system will not play the itunes. i tried to reboot, figure out the administrator settings, go into safe mode and even look into the main system root drivers and all, but nothing works. I've tried to uninstall or re-install Itunes and both times, the system comes up with "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. "Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I have checked the Windows installer and it is working properly, and the computer is NOT running in safe mode. Anyone have any idea on how to get this problem resolved?

(Sorry if i dont you the correct terminology)

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Some really long temp looking files like E578422somethingsomethingsomething, And i can install and uninstall anything fine , but itunes and anything related to it.

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
When my friend gave up he told me that , but i wanted to see if you guys (THW) could think of something else, but it looks like thats the only option for now, so if you could walk me through that that would be great. Also, do you think taking it to bestbuy or somewhere like that and paying for someone to fix it is worth it ?

aford10

Distinguished
If using the restore points doesn't solve it, that's certainly an option. I don't normally recommend using the geek squad, but a local repair shop who has it in front of them can see things that I can't. You just have to be real careful who you take it to. There are some real shady shops out there.

To use the restore points:
start-->programs-->accessories-->system tools-->system restore-->click next to see the complete list of restore points available-->choose one from a date and time before the problem started occurring. If you choose a restore point, and it doesn't solve it, you can keep going further back if needed.

aford10

Distinguished
What happened on that date? Was windows installed then or something? If there's no button to go back to previous restore points, there aren't anymore.

Try reverting to that date. It may be early enough to fix the issue.

aford10

Distinguished
Go to the control panel-->security center-->update page-->check to see if there are any updates available for download.

Something has either wiped out the earlier restore points, or they weren't enabled before 8/8.

aford10

Distinguished
Without my hands on it, I only have a couple more suggestions.

Try downloading ccleaner, and running the registry tool. You may need to run it several times to resolve all the issues.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

If that doesn't help, a repair or reinstall of windows may be needed. This should be a last resort though. And you'll want to back up any important data before doing this.

panchy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I ran the ccleaner several times and it fixed around 1500 issues, but not the windows installer one. I think i should take it to a shop since i don't have the windows CD.

aford10

Distinguished
Geek squad has been in trouble in the past for stealing personal info off people's PC's. The requirements for being a geek squad tech aren't very high, so there are some trust issues there.

Any tech can be a little shady. It's kind of like finding a reliable car repair man.