I've used the Pixel 8 Pro for nearly a year and don't plan to upgrade to the new Pixel 9 Pro — here's why

jimv71883

Prominent
Jun 17, 2023
I just order a Pixel 9 Pro to replace my Pixel 8 Pro. I wasn't originally planning to. My past two upgrades have been after three years. The fact that the Pixel 9 Pro is smaller than the Pixel 8 Pro is the sole reason I'm trading in. I got the Pixel 8 Pro for the additional camera and camera features but for the entire nine months I've owned it I've never liked how big it is.

Reactions: the4realpsych
Aug 16, 2024
To be honest, I literally just purchased the Google Pixel 8 Pro and Pixel 8a for my wife and I literally 2 weeks ago. This was before I realized that the Pixel 9 series was on its way to release. I sincerely look forward to us using the phones - especially since we've been with our Samsung phones for the past 5-6 years and need to upgrade. I just hope that the Pixel 8 series receives the latest AI features - is this guaranteed?

RayRayy4528

Commendable
Apr 22, 2022
For me, picking up a Pixel 9 Pro XL was a no brainer. Free storage upgrade and $1100 trade in offer on a Note 9 from ATT.

I get a new Pixel and my grandmother gets my S22 Ultra in return for sacrificing her Note 😆

Aug 17, 2024
Smaller is better for me too to fit in tight spaces. But the main thing is the new phones are except the 9 have a vapor chamber to help keep the phone cooler. That is reason enough.

Jun 17, 2024
The only reason I would get one would be the upgraded radio modem which brings satellite connectivity. That is convenient to me when I'm out of cellular range which in the vastness of unpopulated Nevada and when out hiking or backpacking is useful to me. But I've lasted all these years without one - I have a Garmin inReach anyway. The smaller screen is tempting but not enough to upgrade before my usual 2 year cycle.

Aug 17, 2024
I just ordered the 9 pro XL to replace my 8 pro. I wasn't planning to upgrade however, with trading in my current device I get 699 off the top, then with the 200 dollar Google store credit, plus 10% "cash back" that's another 109 in Google store credit. For a grand total of effectively 1008 dollars in savings. So out of pocket I'm spending 170 dollars to upgrade. The 309 in store credit doesn't expire and I can use it towards next year's upgrade.

Aug 17, 2024
You realise you don't have to upgrade to every new product right? I'm still on the 7 pro, I didn't feel the need for the 8 pro, but now I'm ready for the 9 pro XL. Just ordered it. It'll probably last me until the 11 range comes out

So yeah, well done, you don't feel the need to upgrade from 8 to 9... A fairly standard decision to make 🤦🏻

Aug 17, 2024
You realise you don't have to upgrade to every new product right? I'm still on the 7 pro, I didn't feel the need for the 8 pro, but now I'm ready for the 9 pro XL. Just ordered it. It'll probably last me until the 11 range comes out

So yeah, well done, you don't feel the need to upgrade from 8 to 9... A fairly standard decision to make 🤦🏻
Yes I do, and yet you missed the point, one of the main points of this article was not upgrading because of the cost. As I described, the cost can actually be minimal based the available incentives Google is offering. Which is what inevitably got me to change my mind.
Do I need the upgrade? Of course not, but since I buy my devices unlocked, and with the credits and trade in incentives, economically it makes sense to upgrade. New flag ship for under $170.00 and the ability get the next flagship for possibly free based on the rewards from this cycle alone.

Aug 17, 2024
I just ordered the 9 pro XL to replace my 8 pro. I wasn't planning to upgrade however, with trading in my current device I get 699 off the top, then with the 200 dollar Google store credit, plus 10% "cash back" that's another 109 in Google store credit. For a grand total of effectively 1008 dollars in savings. So out of pocket I'm spending 170 dollars to upgrade. The 309 in store credit doesn't expire and I can use it towards next year's upgrade.
The credit is only good for 1 year. It does expire.