Iwata: 3DS Wasn't Designed with iPhone in Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
How much would it hurt Apple if the Nintendo 3DS offered apps like Skype, Kindle, Slacker Radio and more?

Very little i would think...

Can you seriously imagine yourself holding a 3DS up to your head as a phone?! Frankly i still can't believe the DS won the war with PsP...wtf?

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
@grieve

To misquote Kevin Butler "The Nintendo DS has games. Games that we've since found out are needed to do pretty much anything that doesn't involve catching a big red ball."

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]How much would it hurt Apple if the Nintendo 3DS offered apps like Skype, Kindle, Slacker Radio and more?Very little i would think...Can you seriously imagine yourself holding a 3DS up to your head as a phone?! Frankly i still can't believe the DS won the war with PsP...wtf?[/citation]
That just goes to show you that graphics horsepower and internal hardware specs alone aren't the end all be all when designing a portable gaming system. I think time and sales figures have proven that there really is something to what Nintendo executives have been preaching since the introduction of the DS and subsequently the Wii. There's still a lot of experimenting and exploring to be done in terms of user interaction with games.

I also think there were a few key design and implementation failures over the life span of the PSP that contributed to the overall weaker sales and 3rd party support of the system in comparison to the DS... despite having greater graphics capabilities.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Nintendo has never really been one to follow suit. They generally innovate and create new ideas and content to keep their customers. Sure, it doesn't always work out *cough*Virtua Boy*cough*, but in general, Nintendo does rather well (i.e. NES, SNES, 64, Wii, Gameboy, Pokemon, etc..).

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
The two things the 3DS needs that I hope it will have:

-A slick UI or home screen to compete with modern UIs
-A more centralized online hub with firmware updates

If it has that I'm sold. The button controls and analog pad of the 3DS will always be something a phone could never compete with. iphones work great for music and voice but give me a dedicated gaming device everytime if I want to play games.

Now that the 3DS has more horsepower then a PS2 I wonder if it will get a Final Fantasy X port. Yes please!

G

Kids don't need a fancy UI. They need to get into the game as quickly as possible without too much hassle or distraction.

It seems that many ppl still don't get it!

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Nintendo has never really been one to follow suit. They generally innovate and create new ideas and content to keep their customers. Sure, it doesn't always work out *cough*Virtua Boy*cough*, but in general, Nintendo does rather well (i.e. NES, SNES, 64, Wii, Gameboy, Pokemon, etc..).[/citation]

Nintendo's innovation is a relativly new thing. The Nintendo 64 was a pretty comprehensive failure because of Nintendo's failure to innovate and move on to new technologies. New Technologies Sony attempted to bring to the SNES years before, and that subsequently made the Playstation the cheaper and better offering for the consumer.
The Gamecube also sufferd in a similar way. Although being my personal favourite console of the time, Nintendo failed to recognise the need for Media playback in the console that both Sony and Microsoft had managed to cover very well with DVD playback at the time. Although the Wii still does not offer this, it makes up for it in other areas, with the innovative control system and its price. The Wii would be improved and would be a far bigger competitor for the space in my TV cabinet should it have had this media capability. The 3DS capability to play some movies could be the start of seeing Nintendo make good on this lack of functionality from their past offerings.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
We asked a Nintendo rep last week about the possible distribution process, only to receive a "we haven't announced those plans" response.

so does that mean they do have plans? hehe.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
@ Vamp:

With the N64, nintendo introduced the analogue stick, and force feedback. two now utterly standard gaming concepts that were quickly asnd repeatedly stolen by the competition. they DID innovate, they just didn't get the credit for it.
Nintendo have always been the greatest innovators in the market, but they don't care who uses their innovations as long as the gaming landscape is improved. unlike Sony or Apple who patent the hell out of everything and throw lawsuits around like party invitations.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]jazn1337[/nom]Nintendo 3DS with skype and 3D video calling would be quite the killer app indeed.[/citation]
Except that the 3DS has a major thing lacking, that was, I'll admit, a disappointment to me: it has only one user-facing camera. That means that you can't do 3D videoconferencing, at least from a spot where you could see the 3D screen. Yes, this is a sad day indeed.

[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Nintendo has never really been one to follow suit.[/citation]
Actually, their track record for "innovation" has been questionable. They're actually EXTREMELY conservative in their design choices, demonstrating a very culturally-rooted suspicion of branching out too far with too much risk; this is seen with the N64's failure to adopt CD-ROM over cartridges, and the chronic RAM shortage every Nintendo system has. Though a lot of us are crossing our fingers that the 3DS means an end to that.

[citation][nom]VampyrByte[/nom]Nintendo's innovation is a relativly new thing. The Nintendo 64 was a pretty comprehensive failure because of Nintendo's failure to innovate and move on to new technologies.[/citation]
Rather, Technology. Singular. Rather strange, since until the 3DS, the N64 marked Nintendo's most bold outward step; The RCP chip marked not just one of the earliest full-fledged GPUs, but aso became the first GPU to offload T&L to hardware, over 3 years before nVidia would become the second company to do that with some newfangled device they wound up calling the "GeForce."

But yes, the main problem that in the long run doomed the 64 to fall behind the PS1 (after Nintendo actually led with initial sales in '96 and '97) was due to the anemic growth of the game library, hindered heavily by the medium choice; the CAPACITY of a CD was pointless at the time; very few PS1 games passed the 10-20MB mark for actual game content, simply opting to fill the bulk with audio tracks. (which was also helpful since redbook audio tracks were the one music source the PS1 could use that didn't eat up any precious CPU cycles) But overall, at the time, CD-ROMs were actually at a technological disadvantage to ROM hardware; the latter offered much higher transfer rates and virtually zero latency, allowing for vastly quicker loading, (remember Resident Evil's door animation?) and even allowing cases of loading on-the-fly to effectively treat ROM as RAM, allowing for vastly more resources to be used simultaneously.

The main reason the CD-ROM helped was because it was cheap; a company could press them for pennies apiece, and production could be ramped up and down to quickly match demand. By contrast, ROM catridges were expensive, at as much as $60-70 apiece for the larger 32MB ones (Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark) at the time, and not much cheaper for the 16MB carts more frequently used. (GoldenEye 007, Banjo-Kazooie, Super Smash Bros.) As a result, N64 games had to be planned carefully, and HAD to be big-budget, as there were no "cheap" games. Further, they had to predict sales WELL; guess too high, and you wind up with a situation like E.T. in 1983. But if you guessed too low, you'd be scrambling to slowly ramp up production to meet the demand before it evaporated, leaving you out with millions of missed sales.

CD-ROM had none of those problems; a game could be designed to be sold in the bargain bin from the start, and not much worry was to be had if you guessed your success right; if you went too low, you could easily and quickly stamp out millions more discs; if you went too high, it was a very small loss anyway, (which you could easily recover by drastically cutting price) as only maybe 0.2-4% of your game's sale price went to physical production, versus 60-85% for a cartridge game. The result was that developers much preferred their odds on the Playstation, making 1,404 games for it, versus 282 for the Nintendo64. In the long run, game library drove sales, and this is what killed the Nintendo 64.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]Except that the 3DS has a major thing lacking, that was, I'll admit, a disappointment to me: it has only one user-facing camera. That means that you can't do 3D videoconferencing, at least from a spot where you could see the 3D screen. Yes, this is a sad day indeed.[/citation]

More tragically, to me at least, is that all of the cameras are 0.3Mp. Seriously, why the fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.