Iwata: Wii U E3 Reveal Confusing; Won't Be Cheap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therandomuser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Why are all the comments I agree on all grayed out? You guys really must not know what other types of games there are outside FPS/SUPERULTRAGOREGAME. Nintendo is being innovative. They want to break the monotonous gaming. Games can actually be fun without it being Rated M. I'm sorry, but my Wii actually gets higher hours per game than my PS3, with the exception of my GT games. I have dabbled with the 360 before, but if it wasn't for M$ milking Live, I'd buy it.

But to the article, yeah I think Nintendo marketed the controller too much. I don;t think I saw a single segment in their video that actually showed the console for more than 20% of the screen. It's a promising enough game system though, and my Nintendo fanboy inside will make my buy it.

@hectordamian I think you mean RTS... but yeah SCII on the WiiU would be interesting to see. I also pictured the sniper screen thing too when I saw the controller mounted on the Zapper.

@dalethepcman I have a hunch that you were a butthurt Sega fanboy. Or, if you were too young for that, then you have never actually played a game outside the FPS genre.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"To add to the confusion, video demonstrations also included Wii remotes, giving the impression that the Wii U was actually a touchscreen controller built for the current Wii."

lol... Was anyone actually confused by this?? People are actually misinterpreting the device everyone's referring to as the "Wii U controller" as the console itself? I agree that more emphasis should've been placed on the console, but this is the first time I've heard reports of such epic levels of fail.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]ben321[/nom]Just because you get older doesn't mean you HAVE to play M rated games.Im 32 and I love the wii, only 8 of my 50 games are M rated .To me both the ps3 and the xbox360 offered nothing new, just the same crappy fps shooters that I've played since wolfenstein 3d.If you judge a system by how pretty the graphics are and how much blood and gore you can get on the screen, then you are missing out on a lot of fantastic games out there.[/citation]

It isn't about the gore and it isn't about the shooting for me. Nintendo's core linup (Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Brothers) do not provide any real intellectual invigoration (as valve would put it). One's about the same teenager trying to save the same world as he has been for decades. One's about the same plumber with the same hat and color scheme as he has since the days of the old arcades. The last offers nothing more satisfying than muscle memory and twitch reflex.

Yeah, Mario Galaxy had some hard puzzles but seriously, if I wanted to play a puzzle game I'd play World of Goo on pretty much any PC in existence. I want a story, I want interesting characters that cause me to think and question my position, I want a shooter that makes me think about how to approach a situation like Crysis 2, I want adult themes like War, love, sacrifice, and tragedy.

The reason I see Nintendo games as kid games is because they rarely approach these topics. And, if they do, it is done with the heavy hand of children's shows.

Add to that the brightly colored art direction, appealing most to children (look it up: children love bright colors), the chibi-esque character design, and the flat stereotypes of characters and I just can't take Nintendo seriously.

In regards to the Wii U, I don't see it doing well. If it is targeted at competing with the 360 and PS3 then it is already lost. At most it will be in the market against these two systems for 2 years and then MS and Sony will again create systems that outstip Nintendo's offering.

Nintendo better get its act together and get as many third party developers on board while they can; a killer lineup of exclusives seems to be the only thing that can save this console.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I am more concerned about addon costs. The Wii is cheap on the surface, but when they charge so absurdly much for each controller/nunchuk combo, then there is the pad, the motion+ and all that stuff... it gets expensive if you want to play a 4 player game.

I mean, 3 extra remotes with the nunchuk was around $200... how much is a controller with a freakin touchscreen going to cost?

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Pretty good article. I was very disappointed in the Nintendo E3 reveal. The tablet thing sounds interesting and I think was a good move but it strikes me as not shooting for the casual gamer that bought the Wii (I don't see many adults picking this up) and not shooting for hardcore gamers (again, I have a hard time imagining playing BF3 with this...). That being said, Nintendo has a pretty good track record and most people thought the Wii was going to be a failure.

I think the disappointment with Nintendo was the lack of any substantial information about the system as discussed in the article. I am still not sure if the CPU is a newer generation PowerPC that will spank the 360 one or is similar to the 360 cpu. The GPU sounds like it might be pretty powerful but we will have to wait and see. Also, it seemed unsubstantiated if it was playing in 1080p or not - which, in of itself, doesn't mean anything. Heck Plants Vs Zombies can be played in 1080p but it looks like a flash game. The indication it will get BF3 is good - if it can play BF3 with Directx11 at 1080p then it will be a decently powerful system.

erinc

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
The hardware of this new console hasn't been officially confirmed but by all accounts it's hardware will indeed blow the current xbox360 and PS3 away. Couple that with the fact that Nintendo now has lots of new games developers on the job creating not-the-normal-kiddy-type-games they are famous for, and you have an exciting gaming machine. It may surprise a lot of people.

Someone mentioned above, will it run Crysis2. Yes and then some is the answer to that.
It should exceed the graphical capability of PS3 and Xbox360 for a good while (years anyway) before M$ and $ony get their next offerings out. (But by then Wii-U may be globally massive)

One of the most exciting features of this for me is that it will bring instant (and easy) video-conferencing to families. The Wii-U controller pad will be great for this. No need for skype and a pc/tablet/phone etc. One of the things that Nintendo do really well is the user interface. An good and easy UI for video-conferencing will make the technology much more accessible for more people that otherwise wouldn't even try it out.

I love that it will support all the existing Wii games and peripherals. This makes keeping your existing Wii setup and usage pattern very straightforward and familiar and will be appreciated by many I'm sure. I also love the idea of sitting in bed playing a game on the controller whilst the wife watches a movie etc on the telly in the sitting room.

I'll be watching the Wii-U closely. It's an exciting and truly innovative product, just like Nintendo said they would deliver.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
It will sells because it is a frigging iPad... and peoples love stupid iPads...

It could be interesting, but I think it is a step backward if devs don't have a clue about how to use it.

G

I played many xbox360 games for years. Games like left4dead, GoW, Silent Hill, GTA, Assasins Creed, alan wake etc. But a year ago i started to play wii and a single hour with new supermario bros. wii and all those games were forgotten. I need to play more games of wii but if only game gave more fun than the ones from MS, what can i expect of the rest? Now with the Wii U, nintendo knew it was the right path to follow after sony and ms decided to goin the motion games bus, they needed again to separate of the rest. You said this ins't new? well actually nintendo announces revolutionary consoles but with tech that has been in use before. Let's start with the DS: touchscreen has been available many years ago, but with this handheld nintendo pushed the touchscreen market and now everything is touch. The same happened to Wii, it wasn't a new technology, but now the major companies are using it.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Anything that has been said aboud hardware is: 3.2 Ghz Power PC prosessor 45nm (same as xbox360) and custom AMD GPU... So no much information in there. But it seems to have same CPU power as Xbox and most propable a little bit better GPU. (Hopefully with DX11 comparable features... or maybe not... Who knows)
So it seems to be powerfull enough to be suitable as an alternative to Xbox and PS3.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
$300 is actually not a bad price. Not sure why they call it expensive - sure, expensive compared to the current Wii but once you get the message out, I'm sure there'll be many people waiting to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.