Jailbreaking Phones Could Become Illegal Again

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If I were to buy a car with Firestone tires, but want to replace them with Good Year tires, would that be a crime? I bought the damn device and I should be able to put whatever I want on it. For Pete's sake! It costs two week's pay to buy the damn thing. What's next? PCs that I can only run windows on! I think that's been visited already. I see an Anti-trust laws applying here.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]Gulli[/nom]Even so, their should be no law against it. It's not congress's job to stop cheating in online games, a simple ban by whoever hosts the server should suffice.[/citation]

Well, it's more about "PIRACY!' than cheating..... but the fact is that if someone wants to pirate current generation console games, there is jack you can do to stop them.

There are even emulators out for every current generation console (admittedly in the beta stages for XBox360 and PS3) that work quite well.

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
In Australia, when you purchase an object, you are entering into a contract with the shop you buy the object from. You are not entering into a contract with the manufacturer.
There are warranty laws to consider as well.

curiousclive

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Apple may find it will lose a lot of sales if other phone makers allow changing of their software/firmware legally (I.e similar to jail breaking but with permission of the supplier).
As if it looks like I'm going to be prosecuted for using other than what Apple want I will be the first to get rid of my iPhone and buy someone else s that do allow my choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.