John Carmack Says iPhone on Level With PS2, Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I just cannot see very many people buying games for the iPhone, I could be wrong though.

Also wonder if Apple payed him to make it or if he just thinks the sales will be there ?

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
iPhone being the same power as PS2 and Xbox is such a LOAD. If anyone remembers, this is quite the bit of double-talk, considering just about a month ago they were saying it was "almost as powerful as a Dreamcast", which is obviously quite a bit less powerful than a PS2/Xbox. The iPhone might have a better CPU and more RAM than the average portable, but its graphics accelerator is very weak even compared to the Dreamcast, let alone the PS2 or Xbox. It's really not much more potent than a DS, and given that it doesn't even have a D-pad or any other game-friendly buttons, it is not a viable contender in the handheld game market.....at least not compared to the real game handhelds, DS and PSP. It's great for a phone, but that's about it folks.

Flaps

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Whatever...

When was the last time that id has done something really worth noting or caring about? Carmack hasn't done anything important since Quake 3, and in game industry years that is a millennium.

This isn't important or newsworthy.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Just because you are clueless about what ID or Carmack has done in the last few years does not mean they've done nothing. In addition to updating their main franchises (which I'd grant you is not groundbreaking) it was my understanding that they had a pretty good renderer for games on the mobile java platform. That and I find Carmack's aerospace ventures to be interesting; but that may just be me.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
ID still makes games ... *shrugs* I tend to view ID and Unreal in the same light, great good looking game engines that everyone else uses to make their games. ID lost me when Doom 3 was not Co-op out of the box. I thought it was cool they did try something different, to make the game scary but I was truly craving to recall the time when myself and three other buddies slaughtered the hordes together in co-op delight back in the DOOM/DOOM II days.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Commander Keen! Commander Keen! That would be awesome. Come to think of it, though, my Motorola SLVR could probably play that game with a simple hack...

Status
Not open for further replies.