John McCain Rep Says McCain Invented Blackberry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
ah the good ol americans fighting over politics again. If george W was still in the race im sure he would get voted by them again. they been tricked. remember fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
"John McCain Rep Says McCain Invented Blackberry. Not since Al Gore invented the World Wide Web has such an outlandish claim been made, but the McCain camp said exactly that."

No, McCain's camp did -NOT- say exactly that. What a stupid misrepresentation. There is a very significant difference between "helped to create" and "invented."
Just as Al Gore claimed that he oversaw legislation which made the widespread use of the internet possible, the McCain aide tried to say that McCain's policies on telecom regulations allowed for a tech/econ environment conducive to the invention and popularity of smartphones. Whether that's true or not is besides the point: McCain's adviser -DID NOT SAY MCCAIN INVENTED ANYTHING.-

I really hate to see Tom's spreading this kind of vapid, quote-mining sensationalism. Get a fact-checker.

allnamestaken

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]I'm not trying to make any political statement. My point is merely that attacking McCain for not using a computer is ignorant.[/citation]

Definitely ignorant. Stupid people use computers. I r smart caveman wit my club, I no ues computer! Huhuhu.

Legless Ethiopian

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
He can't raise his arms high enough to use the keyboard. With how many times his bones were broken I wouldn't be surprised if he lacked the dexterity to type as well. Nothing wrong with that. You guys should show respect even if you don't support his views.

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Keyboards can be placed at any height. So if he can take a tinkle in a restroom he can use a keyboard. Or does he have a secretary help him take a leak? Or wipe his butt. Do we really need someone like that as president anyhow?

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]I'm not trying to make any political statement. My point is merely that attacking McCain for not using a computer is ignorant. [/citation]

no, its not
our next president and congress will be deciding net neutrality; broadband monopolies; they and the fcc will be auctioning off frequencies for wifi and determining internet and wifi regulations; he will work with the fcc, congress and supreme court on internet freedom of speech
he will be discussing cyber war and the security of financial institutions computers

I want someone who can use a blackberry, send text messages, annotate google maps, connect to te internet with their laptop, set up a firewall and an antivirus program and pay their bills online

Vikingex

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Tom's hardware why the hell are you getting involved in politics, and in such a blatant pro-obama way? Get back to making reviews (and decent ones) because we haven't seen those for years.

Badmoon

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I just want to say that if McCain wins these elections, the world and all it's innhabitants are the ones who will suffer, not only the american people. This guy is just a f*****g joke, speccially after seeing and hearing all his vice-president said till now!! Open your eyes and mind, see and feel what you want to, not what THEY want you to.... Greetings from Portugal! Namaste!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]ah the good ol americans fighting over politics again. If george W was still in the race im sure he would get voted by them again. they been tricked. remember fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you[/citation]
Nice try, you rube. Maybe get a clue before posting? Or are you trying to be the "fool" here... The *correct* neologism was recited by our fearless leader: "...fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." -George W Bush.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Im going to re-emphasize what this guy said because its the only person, author included, that actually has a clue.

[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]Disclaimer: I don't support either candidates and I'm not US citizen. The paragraph below do not indicate that I support or against any candidate of the US presidency.Whoever come up with this piece of crap deserves to be fired out right immediately. The original talk by Douglas Holtz-Eakin is as followed:"He did this," Douglas Holtz-Eakin told reporters this morning, holding up his BlackBerry. "Telecommunications of the United States is a premier innovation in the past 15 years, comes right through the Commerce Committee. So you're looking at the miracle John McCain helped create and that's what he did."=============================================================A lot of technology that we are using as consumer products today exists long time ago as military tech. Frequency band open to civilian use 15 years ago was so limited that one can count all allowed bands with two hands. What Mr. Holtz-Eakin tried to say is that as chairman of commerce committee, McCain deserves the credit of helping reform and legislate away obstacles so that telecomm industry can take off. You may disagree with Mr. Holtz-Eakin, but this kind of "journalism" is nothing more than swiftboating. I question John Kerry's war record as much as John McCain's, and that is none.[/citation]

G

No, no, no! John McCain invented BLACKBERRIES the fruit, not the electronic device. He cultivated the original crop and sent it aboard the Ark. Because he's old and stuff.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Great, this is just what we need from a technical web site, lopsided paraphrasing, parsing, and repeating someone elses political opinions. Toms', if you're going to get into politics, do it all the way. Don't sit in the background and just parrot someone elses view and when it suits your own opinion and then pretend you're not playing politics. Either come out with your opinion all the way or shut up!

ThePatriot

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Yeah Right, ....
...and my dad is a deep sea diver
...global warming is a dem thing
...a beardly muslim commited 9/11 from a cave.

Facts of truth

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
G

This is classic Toms... be too stupid to read the whole quote. Without the commission that McCain was on... the blackberry wouldn't exist, so it is correct. Too bad liberal retards don't seem to know enough.

Zorg

Distinguished
May 31, 2004
This article should be deleted and Tom's should be very embarrassed. The author and all interested parties should be fired.

Clowns.

dimaf1985

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Just another example of Americans trying to take credit for Canada's contribution to the world. John McCain is just another backward thinking republican who will send this world even further into the abyss if he gets elected. The last thing he or his camp should be talking about is technology, let alone technology that was invented in another country. These sorts of statements are outlandish at best and only serve to further undermine whatever little credibility he supposedly has.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
How was this article pro-Obama? It was just pointless.

I really don't think it's a good idea for Tom's to be stepping into the political arena. They're having enough trouble with the tech articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.