JRPG Fan? Project Phoenix is the Kickstarter for You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz Wkd

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
@nitrium - sorry to hear about your 1st world problems. It must be difficult to spend a second and use google.

x2ruff4u

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Alot of the FF games had a thing called "active bar". I'm sure these guys will give you that option for turn based or real time. I'm still not to sure of the entire game mechanics. All they have right now is reputation/power/sources and can pretty much do anything. Heck half the people who are in co-development are millionares!

They want the community involved and frankly I'm glad KickStarter was made for projects like this. It's a god send and no joke!

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Funny how most people associate JRPG with Square, and disregard every other form of JRPG. The Tales, Star Ocean, Ogre Battle series come to mind in regards to series that don't use a turn based system of any sort.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Perhaps it's a JRPG in the sense of storyline/flow, but an RTS in the sense of mechanics. It's a really vague term when you get around to it. Technically nearly all video games are "role playing games" since they are games in which you are playing a fictional role. It's really intriguing that as an indie they've managed to snag some incredible talent, Uematsu is an artist type that does not work on projects he does not personally believe in. It is also however a chance to show that JRPGs are not a dead genre as some may speculate, but rather have simply stagnated due to a lack of creativity from devs and a poor community that only sticks to the "core" series like Final Fantasy rather than experimenting with other titles like Suikoden. Still, they need to work on getting this game over to the PS4 and the Wii U if they want true success, those are the core platforms for JPRG fans.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I'm not sure what a "squad based real time strategy game" is.

No seriously, can someone explain? Since I've never heard of a traditional JRPG, like Final Fantasy 1-10, referred to that way. If it was a Strategy RPG, like Valkyria Chronicles, or Fire Emblem, I'd assume they'd just say Strategy RPG. A Tactical RPG, like Tactics Ogre, or Final Fantasy Tactics, would probably use "Tactical" or "Tactics" in the way it's described as a TRGP.

I'm not sure what the hell a "Squad-based real time strategy" game is. Honestly. No clue whatsoever on what they're referring to.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
OK, in my original comment, I said that I don't know what a squad based RTS is.... which isn't exactly true. I'm not oblivious to the existence to games like Company of Heroes, and Dawn of War II....

I just assumed that they meant something else, since squad-based RTS games are mostly a western thing... and well.... have nothing to do with JRPGs, at all. So.... by them saying they're getting back to what made JRPGs great, I assumed it was some kind of JRPG sub-genre or something.... but, nope, just bad marketing.

Basically, it looks like it's a squad based RTS, with RPG elements + squad customization, set in a fantasy setting created with Japanese RPG influenced art and sound... which, honestly, sounds awesome!
- But, I HATE how they try to market that style of game as a JRPG.

I mean, it's like if I said "Did you love the space fighter genre? Well, we're making a game with the true heart of what made classic games like Freelancer so awesome. Our game takes place in a futuristic Detroit, and features sound and music by the space sim genre's best music composers. Gameplay will city free-roaming much like Grand Theft Auto, but since we let you cusomize your car, it's basically just like a space sim. Pretty much. Give us your money..... Oh, by the way, we have no clue on what platforms we're making the game for. Maybe Xbox One? About 80% sure. We figure we can probably toss some tablet/phone OSes in there, because we like money. I know our kickstarter target is really low, but it's OK, because we're all working on the project for free, since we figure we'll make mad cash on royalties. If you support the game tho, don't expect to get any of our cut, it's just for us. You can have a copy of the game and free beta/alpha access tho! So, toss us some cash, since it's clear this game is giong to be awesome.... even though we're not even sure what we're making yet. The talent is just too goood, ya' know? Except we won't name several key team members, since we think its better to keep them mysterious. We promise our mystery Unity dev has mad skills tho. Mad Skillz."

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
The only Japanese strategy RPG I'd want would be Shining Force IV, a genuine sequel to Shining Force III. Turn based, of course, just like 1-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.