Judge Banning ''John Doe'' File-Sharing Lawsuits

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Great... So all the Jammie Thomases (sp?) out there can go counter-sue. Same with all the college kids that settled out of court.

Time to bury the RIAA.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]Do be hate'n. I know how all those people are having such a hard time getting by and all. (yeah, right!) Maybe if it did not cost like $15 for a movie ticket, $5 for popcorn, $4 for a drink and $4 a gallon for gas more people would just go see the movie in the theater.[/citation]
$5 for popcorn? Where are you getting these deals? Here it's over $10 for the popcorn

G

@zachary k

and i guess if a thief stole your car and ran someone over you'll be more then happy serve time, after all you are the registered owner of the car it must have been you

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
An IP address is not equivalent to your identity.
A home address is not you.
Your license plate is not you.
Your home phone number is not you.

In absence of some corroborating evidence to put you in the right place at the right time with these things, they cannot be construed to be you! Anyone else can steal and drive my car, can pick up my home phone, can steal packages off my door step.

Your ACTUAL signature is you.
A fingerprint is you.
Your DNA is you.

These things can be traced back to you with a very small degree of error. If you sign for a registered letter, give a fingerprint for biometrics or during an arrest, or submit to DNA testing, later tests against these results will corroborate to you without needing further evidence.

Somehow, the dumb masses on the internet believe that your name/IP is your identity... that if it has your name you MUST have written it. I have been in forums that wanted to do away with "handles" so that people would not be anonymous... not realizing that ANYONE can fake a name and that would be as anonymous as any handle. People like zachary k are simply brain dead morons to believe that an IP address means anything other than a general location. It is not even a strong alias.

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
For all you people getting mad about this, you are obviously missing the point. There are lots of people who have unsecured routers, malware installed on their computers, or tech savvy grandkids....just to name a few situations. IP addresses are nothing more than numbers. In US law, you have to prove that the person committed the crime, not a number. It's not like a social security number where (barring ID theft) it is really only tied to one person. I could be sitting outside using your router. I could be using your computer as a proxy. Or maybe...just maybe, you are the one pirating all the music. The problem is, there's really no way to tell simply by an IP address. That means there's no reasonable cause to subpoena personal information. Would you really want to be sued, spend tons of money defending yourself, have your name drug through the mud, and possibly end up paying a penalty for a crime that I committed???? This is a win for privacy and a win for civil rights. And don't go QQ about how only stupid ppl get hacked. Even the best IT pros can get hacked.

billiardicus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
[citation][nom]djsting[/nom]For all you people getting mad about this, you are obviously missing the point. There are lots of people who have unsecured routers, malware installed on their computers, or tech savvy grandkids....just to name a few situations. IP addresses are nothing more than numbers. In US law, you have to prove that the person committed the crime, not a number. It's not like a social security number where (barring ID theft) it is really only tied to one person. I could be sitting outside using your router. I could be using your computer as a proxy. Or maybe...just maybe, you are the one pirating all the music. The problem is, there's really no way to tell simply by an IP address. That means there's no reasonable cause to subpoena personal information. Would you really want to be sued, spend tons of money defending yourself, have your name drug through the mud, and possibly end up paying a penalty for a crime that I committed???? This is a win for privacy and a win for civil rights. And don't go QQ about how only stupid ppl get hacked. Even the best IT pros can get hacked.[/citation]

Nice post. This is the most intelligent comment I've read on the internet in ages. Maybe there's hope for the human race.

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]billiardicus[/nom]Nice post. This is the most intelligent comment I've read on the internet in ages. Maybe there's hope for the human race.[/citation]

Thank you :)

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
If a group were to kill all of the politicians, lawyers and judges in the united states (please god!)
I would protect Mr. Steele with my life as he is the only judge that has read the constitution of the united states of america and the only person I have heard of that has earned the title of judge instead of being some corporate shill he is truly protecting the citizens of this great country and should be honored as our greatest benefactor in the sorry history of our country.

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
LOL hypothetical - "what are you in for?" "me? I murdered 15 children and then raped their corpses, how about you?" "Oh me? I downloaded Cowgirl Creampie off of the internet, jacked off to it and then deleted it because it was pretty lousy and I couldn't pay the rediculous fine imposed on me by my own government." It seems corporations have all the rights that a citizen does but citizens have no rights when it comes to the whims of corporations. NUKE HOLLYWOOD or at least boycott it. Garbage movies are certainly not worth giving up your rights for.

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
I guess just like everything else these days media corporations will have to be regulated and closely monitored. No longer will american citizens have to pay 15$ for a good movie and also have to pay 15$ to see a shitty movie. popcorn and fountain soda prices will be capped and actors/actresses(prostitutes) pay will also be capped much like baseball. IMO its time to start bombing sports arenas and jewvie theaters(synagogues). How has entertainment come to the point that the corporations that shit this stuff out make more money then some countries??? Where is the regulation? Where is the accountibility??? It is long past due for a boycott on hollywood and their san fernando valley pervert cousins don't let corporations that only produce a useless timewasting vice take away your rights and essentially neuter the internet before it has even matured.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]xythrax4420[/nom]I guess just like everything else these days media corporations will have to be regulated and closely monitored. No longer will american citizens have to pay 15$ for a good movie and also have to pay 15$ to see a shitty movie. popcorn and fountain soda prices will be capped and actors/actresses(prostitutes) pay will also be capped much like baseball. [/citation]

Baseball has no salary cap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS