Judge Finally Nukes LimeWire's P2P Client

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wowohwow

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I stopped using LimwWire a long time ago. It was 95% virus's.[/citation]

lol ditto and agreed. And every other download was pr0n.

wowohwow

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
If anything, they should be shutdown for being labelled a P2P client.

If you want to screw your computer, download Limewire.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
LimeWire was the first P2P network I used. It was simple and decently fast, but it was responsible for killing my computer once. I never made the same mistake again, but I dumped it as soon as I discovered BitTorrent because of malware.

G

Moved away from Lime years ago. Why settle for MP's when you can get real deal FLAC's via bittorrent? Same quality as on the CD! Lossless audio should really get the record execs freaked...

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
damn can't believe all these people complaining about the viruses on Limewire. I know they exist, but I certainly never got any. It was pretty easy to pick the fake file.

Oh well time to wait for the next revolution in illegal downloads.

wowohwow

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Limewire basically looks for a file that has your search details in it. Not every file had a virus in it, but there was no way of judging it properly. No reviews, no percentages on quality of download.

You're basically taken a risk downloading any file on Limewire... not that that's possible anymore.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Even thoo limewire isnt a good example i'm sure that the companies behind the music won't stop at nothing to stop the donwloaders even if it mean shuting down the entire internet just to earn a few greens.

Whats next? Google maby, they provide a search engine and have links to loads of illegal music/software on webpages out there, is it google's fault that provided the search or the endsite that provided the illegal items? In the case of the torrent trackers the judges seem to think its the search providers fault so maby google is next after all....

This shit must stop before it reaches even insaner levels than it already has, i personaly dont buy a single pice of music or movie just because i still want my freedom, every single purchase adds abit to the riaa + mpaa's coffers and used to supress all our rights of privacy in the name of hunting illegal filesharers. Do you want to pay to have your freedom reduced?

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
@Moricon you and me both brother.
Without Limewire I expect our business will slim down some.
But hey there are always those people that click add banners looking for files.

G

[citation][nom]pobox854[/nom]We can all thank limewire for the bankruptcy of circuit city, media play, and many other media related businesses that were once often frequented until the internet became the hot commodity of the millennium. I may sound like a hypocrite as I use the internet to type this but if one thing has ruined the American economy more than anything it has been the internet. With election time upon us and all of the hoopla being around turning the economy and creating new jobs, when 16 year old kids cash in, without any sort of college degree to their name, on youtube. These are the utterly sad examples of why a program such as limewire started the economic decline in one of many internet related ways.[/citation]

This made me laugh, really laugh..

Media Play, Circuit city and the likes failed due to their unadaptable business model and lack of progressive thinking at the top!! They failed to adapt to a modern approach, and as such went the way of the Dodo! Nothing to do with limewire at all, just their own boards inabilities.

Kids are the direct responsibilities of their parents, if the kids are washed up, leaving school with no qualifications, still dribbling and wearing nappies hoping for a quick get rich scheme to fall in their laps, then its firstly the parents fault for not raising their child correctly and secondly a failed education system allowing kids to get right through basic school with no proper future!

Don't blame these problems on the Internet, the problems you speak of are caused by things entirely bourne out of the systems they come from!

Lastly, I am looking now seriously at youtube to find all these 16 year old mega rich kids who have cashed in on youtube.. and cant see them ... this one is all Fail!!!

normano

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
.limewiresuckedanyways 10/28/2010 4:31 AM
maybe if the record industry was so smart, they'd find a way to create the song tracks into an a format onto cd that couldnt be ripped and or copied to a server for sharing to anyone.

never going to happen - they know that its futile doing it for 2 reasons....

1 - any effort would be hacked in 5 seconds
2 - even if it was not hacked - if a medium can be heard then it can be copied, simply record it. Us oldies had to in years gone by when cassette tapes first came out

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Limewire is for your average PC user(s) who is clueless. Yes, I don't care if you are sooo tech savvy and this comment offends you. Why? because if you were so Tech Savvy, you'd know better than to use Limewire in the first place. Limewire - even in its infancy, was no where near the speed and privacy that some other programs out there offered. The more advanced and technically savvy PC users used these "other" programs and methods of downloading - of which one method about 20+yrs old now is still being used. I betcha, you use this 20+yrs old program frequently every week and yet don't realize its dark side.

I could never understand why people use Limewire and the likes. These type of P2P sharing were so full of holes, you'd swear a SWAT Team was target practicing. And you wonder why people complain about thier slow, full of viruses PC, blamining Windows.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
LOL the music industry kills another dying P2P platform. They help piracy by providing natural selection, they finish the dying softwares. If it wasn't for them going after napster we would still be using that crap today. They helped popularize the torrent protocol. Thank you!

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]LOL the music industry kills another dying P2P platform. They help piracy by providing natural selection, they finish the dying softwares. If it wasn't for them going after napster we would still be using that crap today. They helped popularize the torrent protocol. Thank you![/citation]
Thanks, music industry.

Thindustry.

File sharing is a hydra- cut off one head and two more will take its place. It's going to happen, and some of the little people in the business are having a hard time with the changes, but it seems like executive stuffed suits like those in the RIAA are the only ones who refuse to accept reality.

The era of the giant mega-label is pretty much done. The big players can adapt and still turn a good profit. Show us you want to make money alongside the artists, writers, and engineers (instead of treating them like props) and more people will pony up. And quit complaining because huge returns aren't happening right now- it took time for records to become a profitable model way back when, and new technology can only make changes go so much faster.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Limewire and all the other share's are for noobs looking to get infected. Never had to use that crap. Started with napster, then winmx, then .... well if you don't know i ain't telling. Most of those ppl don't even know about blocklists, thou blocklists don't help with virus's but if you know about them you are serious in the game. Their own non-educated faults. Also the judge has no idea how much anti-virus/pc companies/stores make due to youngsters downloading music with mom and dads laptop and then it gets infected. Parents pay for software to fix it. It doesn't so then they have to go to geeksquad/mom and pops pc store to get it fixed. All adds up to Computer Industry Revenue. JMO

G

this is a buch of crap because you think you can shut down limewires p2p sharing network because sharing music is legal its what you make of the music you download because you can find bluegrass, country, rock & roll, old timey music rock music, classic country, classical music and all kinds the music that changed america and all were about everyone listens to music if you dont than something is wrong with you because it gets you dancing in a rythmic motion it can be the song that made your girl fall in love with you or the song that was playing when you got married

Status
Not open for further replies.