Judge: IP Address Can't Even Identify a State

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Ip adresses cannot identify a person by itself but it most certainly can identify a state. This is an issue of having a professional describe how. I deal with this all the time. Geolocation information combined with route tracing does it very easily and that is at it's most basic.[/citation] IP addresses can be hijacked by individuals, organisations, states (remember the Youtube incident involving Pakistan in 2008?), or simply by mistake. So it's not that an IP address can't identify your region, it just can't do it reliably and that has been proven time and time again.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Ip adresses cannot identify a person by itself but it most certainly can identify a state. This is an issue of having a professional describe how. I deal with this all the time. Geolocation information combined with route tracing does it very easily and that is at it's most basic.[/citation]

The fact that you couldn't use the proper its (it's = it is) doesn't make it sound like your knowledge on the subject is worth anything.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]The fact that you couldn't use the proper its (it's = it is) doesn't make it sound like your knowledge on the subject is worth anything.[/citation]

this is a forum... Grammar is often rushed and not checked. It's not like he's writing a police report. We all make grammatical mistakes every now and then.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
The judge could be anymore right. Hell, if they were track my IP address to 100% accuracy it would say I was in Illinois. Why? Because I have to use my phone for internet where I live and for some strange reason I always end up appearing in Illinois or New Jersey.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]justintoxicated[/nom]i thought it's pretty easy to track an ip to a physical location. for example www.unlocktheinbox.com/locateip/ ?? couldn't this be taken further? what am i missing?[/citation]
An IP might simply be a proxy or encrypted gateway that can be accessed from anywhere else in the world by anyone.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
"Piracy advocates supporting the numerous John Doe lawsuits saw yet another blow to their lucrative crusade"

That sounds odd actually. I think you meant the copyright advocates as any piracy advocate would applaud these pro-IP-anonymity rulings.

Status
Not open for further replies.