Judge Orders NSA to Stop Collecting Telephone Metadata

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
the NSA replied with. its his opinion we go by the DOJ... so they will ignor it and carry on acting beyond there remit. i would love to see this also happen in the uk as well as other countries that are doing this kind of trawling.
but even if they do pass laws saying you cant spy on your own indiscriminately they will get there partner agencies to do it for them and with the use of carefully worded semantic arguments they will claim it to be legal...

uuicked

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
It's stupid and dangerous to not allow the NSA to continue with business as usual. You are all safer in ways we'll never know. There isn't some person actually listening to the 99.9% of American calls which mean nothing. They are using a database to query any and all key words that actually are sensitive like we've all known about since we were children. Remember the childhood tale about how you couldn't say bomb and president on the telephone or the government would flag you? We knew they listened then, why pretend we don't know they still listen? They aren't out to bully GMO quacks, the NSA wants to stop real criminals... and if you are one, I hope they catch you. Ensuring bad things happen to bad people :)

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
"It's like NSA cares. They are above judiciary system, whether we want it or not. "

Its easy to forget that NSA is just a dog doing its masters bidding. Its not their fault or initiative that caused the current situation. It's always the politicians- the kind democratic people elect to rule in their name, that are ultimately responsible for formation and execution of the evil spying or any other secret government plans.

Only transparency will prevent formation of future evils like this one.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
@uuicked...
It's even more dangerous to NOT know what the freedoms (not rights) laid out in the U.S. constitution are. And the constitution is NOT a living document, as the lefties would have it.

Freedom isn't free. Every generation, or two, or three, it has to be bought... Again. Blood/lives being the price. The next payment is *not far in the future.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me."
Martin Niemoller...

Look it up... Those times are slowly approaching, some aspects quicker than others. Open your eyes.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
The NSA should open its own dating site. I'm sure with it's superior ability to spy on people, its Matchmaking algorithms would find one's perfect match.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I find it amazing that people take the NSA to task when the won't provide specific instances where they've prevented attacks, like the judge in this case. Occasionally the government does need some privacy to keep people safe, the NSA just happens to be the one portion of the government that really needs privacy to do it's job. Now it would be nice if people put as much effort into keeping the rest of the DOD inline.

Status
Not open for further replies.