Just got a traveling job, moving from custom built desktop to laptop.

nmeseth

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
1. What is your budget?

Flexible. This new job pays quite a bit more, and the budget is anywhere from $1400-$2000. If I think it is worth it, I'd be happy to spend more.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

17", It will be in a hotel room when I travel and only be used when I am in said hotel room. Won't need to be moved. I will be moving to a different city every week, so its not *too* much travel.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080, its what I currently use on a 24" monitor.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop replacement, mostly.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Not all that important. It can stay plugged in.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Skyrim, modded with the "Skyrim HD Lite Textures" as well as some of the lighting mods. Total War Rome 2 is one of the games I am looking forward to as well. For the most part I don't mind lowering settings, but for Skyrim those extra textures are just..necessary. My only gripe is that I really need 45+ FPS. I'll gladly shut off AntiAliasing, shadows, etc.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Gaming and multitasking.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Not a big deal. I'd be happy buying a 4TB Drive and connecting it via esata. 500GB-1TB is fine, speed of 7200RPM is important though.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I work at Best Buy, but our discount is shit for laptops.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-3 years. Most likely I'll replace it when the games graphics demand more power or I stop being able to run them at 50+ FPS at medium.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Blu-Ray would be nice just for renting from red box and stuff.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Brands are largely irrelevant. Being able to get the least amount of bloatware possible would be nice. I'll most likely format the hard drive as soon as I get it and reinstall the windows copy.

13. What country do you live in?

USA, Midwest.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

My current desktop is an Intel 3570k, 16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM (1600) with a 7950 as GPU. The laptop ideally would be equal performance or better.

Solution

a GTX 780M is comparable between Desktop GTX 660ti and GTX 670 ..

you can read about it here :

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-780M.88993.0.html

scroll down for gaming performance , and click on each fps to know what...

SNA3

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

take the lowest priced 4 cores cpu 4700MQ .. and pick the GTX 780M

which model you like ?

nmeseth

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Probably going to go with the NP8290.

The sound thing is pretty kickass.

Still debating if I really want to spend $2,000 on a laptop, but its the amount I need to spend to get what I'll be happy with.

I think I'll grab a PS3+Games for now, use my smartphone for other shit.

Don't want to go broke doing this man.

SNA3

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

you can stay with GTX 770 M if you dont want high end gaming.

you wanted the best so I gave you Sager ... if you want to stay at 1400$ there are other options with GTX 770M , Like MSI and Toshiba and others ...

I chosen SAGER coz it is the cheapest with GTX 780 . even can take dual GTX 780 if you wish to upgrade later. others are closed.

nmeseth

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Oh I'll still be getting it, thats for damn sure.

Just gotta wait a few paychecks and still need some gaming, so a PS3 for the hotels is fine.

I'll be working 50-70 hours a week, so its not like I'll be spending huge amounts of time on it. My workload varies week to week, so I want to get a better feel.

My biggest problem was not understanding what performance I'll get for my money compared to desktops.

I think it is an issue where I want to wait to see if I really *need* a laptop this nice.

SNA3

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

a GTX 780M is comparable between Desktop GTX 660ti and GTX 670 ..

you can read about it here :

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-780M.88993.0.html

scroll down for gaming performance , and click on each fps to know what system gave it

Solution