Keepass vs truecrypt-when best to use either?

ATP_1

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Is it possible to replace use of keepass with use of truecrypt alone?

In other words, use truecrypt as a form of centralisation for this form of security?

Or have I misunderstood their respective purposes and functions?

Thanks.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
True crpyt encrypts an entire drive so that if the drive is stolen, all the data is unreadable. If the tru crypt software malfunctions in some way, you will no longer be able to access your data - no way to get it back.

Keypass only encypts a password file that you can use to store your passwords encrypted. Keypass it'self requires a master password in order to access the rest of your passwords. The worst that can happen here is that you will need to reset your password.

These programs do two different things - not the same.

Carlossy

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Truecrpyt is a good encrypt tool. The downside that was mentioned by Hawkeye22 is realistic but everyone that uses this tool should also keep backups of the data.

I use keepass and store it in a truecrpyt folder. This means that i need two sets of passwords but I’m paranoid. I also keep backups.

Like so many programs, it is the way you use it.

I would be interested to find out how you would reset your password in keepass if it is corrupted as in the scenario given by Hawkeye22

Carlossy

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Not sure if you can rest a password with just the database and a new download of keepass. I thought the database file is encypted.

or are you saying you keep a copy of the database with no password on an external hard drive locked away?

Sorry i dont know about password safe to comment on their database.

Keeping backup copies is a great idea.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
I don't know about keypass, but password safe must store the master password as part of the database. If the password is wrong the database is disconnected immediately so as not to compromise the database. Password safe also has a portable version for USB drives. I just copy the database file from my pc to my usb drive this way I can have my passwords with me when I have to go out of town. I also keep a copy on another hard drive as backup.