Solved! Kef Kube10b subwoofer humming

Jan 11, 2019
I have just bought a Kef Kube10b subwoofer which is attached to a Yamaha 7.1 RXV671 receiver / amp. I have Kef front, centre and surround speakers. My previous old Pinnacle subwoofer gave up the ghost and blows the 1amp slow fuse when plugged into power. Anyway, the Kef sub hums but only when connected (with audio cable) to the amp and the hum increases in volume when you increase the volume on the sub itself. I have tried; 3 different cables, run the power cable to other outlets and moved the sub away from any other electrical components. Still the same problem... After this I got a replacement new sub (as I thought this was the problem) but still humming! GRR I'm beginning to think it is the amp that has the fault, but before I spend $$$ on a new amp - any other ideas, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 11, 2019
Thanks for the response. But the sub only has a 2 prong AC cord. It is plugged into a separate outlet from the rest on the equipment which is plugged into a surge protected power bar. As I understand the audio isolator would only correct this problem if the issue was a ground loop, which ir doesn't appear to be.

Jan 11, 2019
Okay, think I have found the problem - not resolved yet, but I know what is causing the hum - YAY!

I won't bore you with all the details but it appears to be the cable box that is causing the hum. With the cable box disconnected, no more hum. I will be getting onto my cable provider (Shaw) to see what they can do to fix issue.

NOTE: Even with power off to the cable box it still hums. You need to physically remove either the HDMI input (to the amp) or disconnect the coax cable to the cable box. I would suggest if you have similar issues, trying disconnecting hardware connected to your amp one by one... :)

Jan 11, 2019

Thanks Kenton82 for your reply. I think I found the issue (posted just before your suggestion) its the TV cable connection