Kepler Delivers Confirmation of Extrasolar Earth-Sized Planets

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]zankuto[/nom]How many here thought for a split second this was new on Nvidia?[/citation]

I did, after that kickass Radeon 7970 announcement :D

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Great news, all we need now is FTL drive spaceships, wormholes or a working Stargate and we can stripmine it, err, colonise it.[/citation]

It will all start with finding some ancient ruins on Mars... :)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I did, after that kickass Radeon 7970 announcement
It will all start with finding some ancient ruins on Mars...[/citation]
Personally I am hoping it will be more like Total Recall, rather than Doom, I would rather the future was full of mutants than demons.

Shi no Tenshi

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Personally I am hoping it will be more like Total Recall, rather than Doom, I would rather the future was full of mutants than demons.[/citation]

How about more like Mass Effect?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Great news, all we need now is FTL drive spaceships, wormholes or a working Stargate and we can stripmine it, err, colonise it.[/citation]
That's not necessarily true. If you could travel close enough to the speed of light, you could travel there in what seems to you like a very short time. Of course Earth would be much older if you were to ever come back.

Great then all we have to do is send a craft and wait a few hundred thousand or million years to confirm that a potential planet was found.

It could very well be that there are no shortcuts like warp or wormholes to make faster than warp travel possible. Nor that it is possible to build massive power sources such as anti-matter.

I hope that this stuff is possible but we may never know or visit even our nearest neighboring system. I'm sure that cheap relatively fast travel will be possible within our own system. Beyond that everything seems to require unbelievable amounts of energy that even nuclear fusion wouldn't come close to providing.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]That's not necessarily true. If you could travel close enough to the speed of light, you could travel there in what seems to you like a very short time. Of course Earth would be much older if you were to ever come back.[/citation]
Just think, you return to find your great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren are waiting for you
The greeting card industry would have a field day

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
its very possible we could travel to these planets with the tech of today and the genetics of tomorrow (just think we could live forever and everything) but what happens if on your way the planet your going to gets destroyed for what ever reason and now is uninhabitable now your energy runs out it be shitty.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Yeah, there are likely trillions of them. Statistically, the likelihood of one solar system having 9 planets if most stars have no planets at all is rather slim. So yes, most stars probably have planets. Imagine all the civilizations smarter than ours out there specially if they survived the atomic age without destroying themselves, something we are unlikely to achieve given our record of tribal warfare.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Yeah, there are likely trillions of them. Statistically, the likelihood of one solar system having 9 planets if most stars have no planets at all is rather slim. So yes, most stars probably have planets. Imagine all the civilizations smarter than ours out there specially if they survived the atomic age without destroying themselves, something we are unlikely to achieve given our record of tribal warfare.[/citation]
Hilarity would ensue if in a few years we get radio transmissions from a race thousands of light years away, we listen in to their signals for about a hundred years then it all goes silent a few years after they invent nuclear weapons
No point in going to that planet, unless you plan to study ancient dead civilisations from the safety of a radiation suit

Status
Not open for further replies.