Key Fob not working on 2004 Sienna LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Five days ago, my wife was coming home in our 2004 Toyota Sienna. At the time she left for home, the key fob was working, unlocking and locking the doors to the van.

When she got home, it no longer worked. When I got back, I tried my key fob and it didn't work either. Only our keys lock/unlock the doors. The key fob won't lock/unlock the doors, won't open or shut the passenger sliding door nor does the panic button work. We can only lock/unlock the doors using the key (or using the lock switches inside the van).

I've replaced the batteries in both remotes and that didn't fix it. I researched the web and found the following instructions to try and reprogram the remotes:

1. Open the driver side door and ensure it's unlocked, no key in the ignition.
2. Insert the key and remove it twice in the ignition switch - do this within 5 seconds
3. Shut and open the driver door twice - do this within 40 seconds
4. Insert the key and remove it - do this within 5 seconds
5. Shut and open the driver door twice - do this within 40 seconds
6. Insert the key into the ignition
7. Close the drivers side door
8. Turn the key to the on position and the back to off and remove the key
9. The locks should lock and unlock

Step 9 never occurs for me. I cannot get the locks to lock and unlock. I'm beginning to wonder if the module is bad? Has anyone else been able to reprogram their key fobs with a 2004 Sienna LE?

Thanks!

Solution
I actually had the same problem last year and pretty much did the same thing you did, replaced batteries in the remote/ then replaced the remote. Eventually found out it was a bad sensor in the car. Never did get it fixed.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Keyless Entry - Programming Remote Transmitters
Notes

ELECTRICAL
EL009-07

Title:
PROGRAMMING OEM WIRELESS DOOR
LOCK REMOTE TRANSMITTERS

Models:
'00 - '08 Applicable Models

November 9, 2007

TSB UPDATE NOTICE :The information contained in this TSB supersedes TSB No. EL004-01.
TSB No. EL004-01 is now obsolete and should be discarded.

Introduction

This bulletin provides programming instructions of OEM wireless remote transmitters on the models listed below.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2000 - 2005 model year Celica vehicles.

^ 2001 - 2003 model year Prius vehicles.

^ 2001 - 2005 model year ECHO vehicles.

^ 2001 - 2007 model year Highlander vehicles.

^ 2001 - 2008 model year RAV4 vehicles.

^ 2002 - 2006 model year Camry vehicles.

^ 2003 - 2008 model year Avalon, Corolla, and Matrix vehicles.

^ 2004 - 2008 model year Sienna and Solara vehicles.

^ 2005 - 2008 model year Tacoma vehicles.

^ 2007 - 2008 model year FJ Cruiser and Yaris vehicles.

Warranty Information

Programming Procedure

To Program Wireless Remote Transmitters:

Begin with:

^ The driver's door open and unlocked.

^ Key out of the ignition.

1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds.

Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds.

2. Close and open driver's door TWICE.

3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

Steps 4 - 6 should be performed within 40 seconds.

4. Close and open the driver's door twice.

5. Insert the key into the ignition.

6. Close the door.

Steps 5 and 6 should be reversed for the following models ONLY (close door first, then insert key into ignition):

^ 2000 - 2005 Celica

^ 2001 - 2003 Prius

^ 2001 - 2005 ECHO

^ 2001 - 2005 RAV4

^ 2003-2004 Avalon

7. Turn the ignition switch from "Lock" to "On" and back to "Lock" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode:

^ 1 time for ADD mode.

^ 2 times for REWRITE mode.

^ 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode.

^ 5 times for PROHIBITION mode.

8. Remove the key from the ignition.

9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

If Confirmation or Prohibition modes have been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure.

10. For Add or Rewrite modes do the following within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation:

A. Press both transmitter Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release.

B. Within 3 seconds of step A press the transmitter Lock button for more than 1 second and release.

^ If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time.

^ If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.

C. If multiple remotes are to be reprogrammed, repeat steps A and B.

11. Open the driver's door to conclude programming mode.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I actually had the same problem last year and pretty much did the same thing you did, replaced batteries in the remote/ then replaced the remote. Eventually found out it was a bad sensor in the car. Never did get it fixed.

Solution

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008

This is what is scaring me. About 16 months ago, we had to get the front windshield replaced. My fear is that there was a leak that caused it to drip on the sensor module and shorted it out. We're talking over $550 just for the part alone! :fou:

I hope it's not that and for some reason, I just can't get it to reprogram myself and the shop can get it done. However, things are not looking good. :cry:

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Well crap! Things are not good. Got the diagnostics ran and it came back with code B1242 which means wireless tuner malfunction. The body ecu apparently is still working since I can lock/unlock the doors with the lock switches and my keys. Also, the garage door opener works as well.

The wireless module is $560! Ouch!!!

UPDATE: Talked with SafeLite this week to see what is covered under the lifetime warranty and they'll do a pressure test on the front windshield to see if there is a leak. If so, they'll replace the windshield at no cost to me as well as cover any costs to repair any damage caused by the leak. So, if there was a leak, then they'll pay for the repair work for me to get the remote sensor working again.

Here's hoping that there was a leak! It seems to be the only explanation other than the sensor just went bad.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
I fixed it! I found the Toyota repair manuals online and I found the section on troubleshooting the wireless remote. It identified the location where the wireless remote receiver was which was behind the stereo. I then found a website online that explained how to remove the radio which was easy. Just pry off the two side panels and the top speaker grill. Then you remove the four 10mm bolts around the radio and pull it out. What I did was just unhook the communication wire that runs between the body ecu and the wireless remote and then hooked it back up. I then tried the remote and viola! It worked.

That saved me almost $1,000 of work!

G

Hello,
I pulled the stereo out of my matrix and couldn't find anything directly behind it
. Where is the communication wire that runs between the body ecu and the wireless remote ? Could you describe it a little better? Thanks!

Ron F
Sault Ste Marie

ki162

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
My 2006 Sienna suddenly quit recognizing both key fobs. I did have the car battery replaced about a week before that, but the key fobs had been working fine after that. Thanks to the procedure you posted for adding the key fobs, they both work again.

aaaasdasda

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
I tried following the procedure given here on my 2009 Sienna after both key fobs stopped working (even after replacing a battery) and it worked fine. I had to do it twice before I got it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.