key loggers/ parental tools

Daniel Carlo

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Does anyone know of any safe tools (key logger and or parental tools). The reason I ask is, I have a teenager and he has been going on bad sites. So i'm wondering if there is a tool I could use to find the sites and block them. Also anything for mobile phones too?

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
If you own the system and are the guardian of your son it is legal. You just would need to make sure that you buy an actual business grade logger to avoid infecting your sons system with something malicious. Several businesses use things like this on all systems in their network legally. I think a keylogger would be overkill and a bit to invasive. As for monitoring you normally can configure your router along with a few other programs which can be found here http://www.howtogeek.com/68886/how-to-configure-your-router-for-network-wide-url-logging/ Your router is probably different but you can probably find similarities between what everything is called. Also make sure you son doesn't have administrative rights to either his computer or has the password to the router. You can also do simple parental control stuff within windows. There are much more advanced ways of doing this but I'm guessing you wouldn't want to need to deal with all that.

Benab3

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
What I would do is block these certain websites, or categories from your router or ISP options.
So when it is clicked on through a computer on your network it will display something like your service provider saying that access to the website has been blocked because of "category" content.

Kadathan

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Another thing worth noting is that with the advent of encryption, VPNs, HTTPS, proxy browsers, the advice to remove his admin is critical, and even then there's more things out there than you can possibly block. You have to use localized software(Something installed on the computer) to properly monitor usage, since any tool at the router level will be easily twarted by any sort of encrypted traffic. So your son can go to google.ca, and search anything he wants, and you'll see simply that he was on google, not what he was looking for.

I don't mean to sound alarmist, but as a parent it really is in your best interest to know what your kids are doing online and not enough people put forth the effort and do the work to ensure that they are aware. There's some stuff out there that will mess youth up pretty bad, and it's always a good idea to know what your teen is using the computer for. Kudos for going looking for the tools you need!

georgehh

Estimable
May 14, 2015
Not sure about other routers, but my new Virgin Media Super Hub has a great keyword, site and iP blocker. I tested out the keyword blocker which worked brilliantly, and also keeps a handy log of when the keyword was "found" on a site.