Keyboard and Mouse won't work at Vista login screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

andreim4

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
hello
i have 2 acer aspire 3003lc that have the same problem. without the battery plugged in when i cold start them they work just fine... but if i start them with the battery plugged in then the no mouse/keyboard issue occurs. still havent found out why but i haven't looked. i just googled the problem and got here. the bios is updated the drivers are current. i will try with another battery from another one that i know that still works and i'll get back to you

musapmartin

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I have an Aspire 5050, same problem, the keyboard & touchpad really works without the battery installed. Anyone tried the new battery?

G

Disregard the people talking about battery issues. That has nothing to do with your problem.

I ran into the same thing multiple times on my Acer 5600 series laptop. First with XP, after a Windows update, the keyboard and touchpad stopped working at logon. It would work during boot/bios and in safe mode but not once windows booted. I called Acer and they were no help whatsoever - they didn't even have system restore disks for my laptop. utterly useless. I will never buy an Acer again.

Then in frustration I bought a new copy of Vista and installed it. It solved the problem but I lost a bunch of data. I thought I had the problem solved, then after a Windows Update a week later, the same problem happened! There is absolutely some sort of issue with Windows Update nerfing the keyboard/touchpad drivers, rendering the laptop unuseable. Acer and Microsoft need to admit this and provide a clear solution!!!

Matty76

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I have found a solution to this - it is nothing to do with power management, drivers suddenly becoming corrupt, reinstalling windows or any of this. Here are the steps I went through to find out what the problem was:

1) Popped round my sister and nicked her PS/2 mouse and keyboard
2) There let me get in to windows and do stuff (as safe mode was still a problem)
3) Tested each usb device one after the other - problem persisted
4) uninstalled and reinstaled all my ethernet and usb drivers - problem persisted
5) Checked online forums with too many differing solutions
6) Scheduled a chkdsk
7) Waiting about 2 hours for it to find nothing - problem persisted
8) Uninstalled my virus protection and istalled a new different one - problem persisted
9) Deleted all temp files and cleaned the registry using cccleaner - problem persisted
10) Sorted all my recently installed programs by date and uninstalled everything up to about 1 month ago - PROBLEM WENT AWAY!

If only step 10 could have been step 1 :) So - to help everyone out, just go to straight to step 10. Uninstall everything you have put on your computer recently up to about 1 month ago exclusing games. I had all sorts of dodgy sound tools, video converting software, adobe updates, gogle updaters etc etc and once they were shot in the head it solved the issue.

Good luck.

Maxxman22

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Well the solution is simple for anyone who has an Acer Aspire 5050-5954:

1. Plug the laptop charger in an outlet.
2. Start Windows Vista
3. Unplug the battery from the back of the laptop while it's plugged in.

For some odd reason (probably bad firmware on the mobo, or bad wiring, who really knows?) when the battery is dead or Windows reads it as "dead", the keyboard and touchpad malfunction. No driver updates or reformatting the Harddisk to reinstall Windows Vista will help. Simply purchase a new battery or keep the battery disconnected from the laptop.

If you have an extra battery to test to see if it's actually the batteries fault (I haven't tested it personally), do this first before purchasing a new one, just in case so you won't have to waste time and money.

Hope this helps to whoever has an Acer Aspire 5050. (Not sure if this would work for any other Acer Aspire, but give it a shot to see if it works.)

deboga

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Hi,
I was facing the same problem. My GF Acer Aspire 3630 got keybord and mouse blocked after windows updates. I have removed the battery and it works !!!!

Thanks for everybody. I will let you know wether it was my battery who is dead.

Thanks Maxxman22

updatethis

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Every one seems to have this problem with their Acer laptops, but I just had this happen to me with a Toshiba running Windows Vista. I had actually been offline with the pc for quite a while, connected again and found I had 97 updates to install. So I figured it would solve my internet browsing issues and installed them. Reboot left me with the same problem described by just about everyone, including the fact that it does not help to start up with the battery removed.

I could believe I have a bad battery because it hasn't held a charge very well for a long time, but the update is the suspicious thing. Its not just an Acer issue, that is for sure.

Thanks anyway to all who have listed their solutions, at least now I have options to try tonight.

RyRyMcFry

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Hey everyone,
So my sister came to me with her ACER One Aspire D257-1814 with the same issue the keyboard and touchpad not working. It works in the bios page no problem, but when the computer loads up to the log in screen (windows 7 starter) there is no mouse on the screen and I cannot input anything in the password box.
So i cannot reinstall the drivers for the two because i cant get into the computer. I also tried leaving it charge for 2 days yet no score, I am gonna leave it plugged in without a battery and try it tomorrow. Also a USB mouse and keyboard do not work, when i plug in the keyboard none of the lights on the keyboard are on, so i think the usb outlets are shot also.
I am just in the process of repairing a ACER desktop because the MOBO went on it, so i have a small feeeling this ACER also lost its MOBO.
Any suggestions?