Keyboard letters y, u, h, j, n, m, 6 & 7 are not working on my Dell Inspiron n5010? I got a replacement keyboard but the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfoot31

Estimable
Jan 1, 2016
Keyboard letters y, u, h, j, n, m, 6 & 7 are not working on my Dell Inspiron n5010? I got a replacement keyboard but the same letters still don't work? What's the problem?

hang-the-9

Titan

The power and keyboard connections should be pretty far apart, keyboard is usually in middle of motherboard, but who knows exactly what you did when you worked on it. I'd try to blow some compressed air around the connections, try to reseat it again. If that does not work, test an external keyboard. If that works fine, you can try a BIOS update on the system and maybe do a reset to defaults. Past that, it seems like issue is on the motherboard.

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Check keyboard language settings.
- Open Control Panel and look for Region and Language.
- Check all tabs if they are all set to United States.
- If that doesn't work, try pressing those following keys which are not working using your onscreen keyboard (Ease of Access look for Onscreen keyboard)
- Connect an external keyboard and see if the same problem will persist because if does you may need to consider on doing a complete Factory Reset cause it's a problem with your operating system.
- If all these will not work the problem lies inside the motherboard where the ribbon cable is connected.

hang-the-9

Titan
Maybe a motherboard issue, if external keyboard works, you need to replace the motherboard as the keyboard connection on it is bad. Unless you did not seat the cable properly or there is something there that is causing a bad contact on a pin or 2.

Superfoot31

Estimable
Jan 1, 2016

Well I had just replaced the power jack and this happened when I reassembled it. At first only a certain set of keys didn't work - so I reseated the keyboard cable thinking what you suggested was the case. Once I did that a different set of keys stopped working. I have examined the connector closely with a magnifying glass but don't see anything wrong. All I can think is that I somehow damaged the motherboard in the process of replacing the power jack?

hang-the-9

Titan

The power and keyboard connections should be pretty far apart, keyboard is usually in middle of motherboard, but who knows exactly what you did when you worked on it. I'd try to blow some compressed air around the connections, try to reseat it again. If that does not work, test an external keyboard. If that works fine, you can try a BIOS update on the system and maybe do a reset to defaults. Past that, it seems like issue is on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop General Discussion 5
K Laptop General Discussion 3
N Laptop General Discussion 1
H Laptop General Discussion 5
M Laptop General Discussion 1
W Laptop General Discussion 2
B Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 3