Keyboard not working properly on laptop.

John_416

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
I am running Windows 10 on a iBuyPower series i-801. When I start the computer, the keyboard works in that I can put in my password. However, once fully booted up it does not work. The mouse works though. I've tried using a USB keyboard, but that does not work either. All keyboards make a "ding" sound through the speaker when any button is pushed,
I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it, but it did not help. Plugging in a usb keyboard does work either. The same problem is on any plugged in keyboard

I just found out that if I hold a button down for 3 seconds it will work. It goes "beep..character-pressed" So I don not think that it is a keyboard issue.

I went through all of the guides that were similar to my issue and tried all of their solutions. None have worked so far. I also checked the region and language. The device manager says that it is working properly.

Solution
Hmm, another option could be something inside windows. Try either checking the "numlock' after in windows and/or try booting in "Safe Mode" and see if you still get the problem.

It may be a "Numlock" problem. Here are three ways to try and unlock it.

A. You can try this shortcut, press (together) the Fn + Nmlk keys.

B. You can also try disabling it in the registry...

1. Press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run box.
2. Type "regedit" and press "Enter" to open the Windows "Registry Editor".
3. In the "Registry Editor", open the following registry key.

HKEY_USER\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard\

4. In the keyboard folder, you should see a string value named “InitialKeyboardIndicators” with a value of 0, 1, or 2. You need to...
Was the system updated at all just before the problem started? If so you may want to do a "System Restore" to a date prior to the update and see if this resolves the problem.

Another option to try is to go into "Device Manager". In there lick on "Keyboards" and then right click on "Keyboard device" and click "Scan for hardware changes".

John_416

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

John_416

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

John_416

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
There has been no hardware or system changes. I tired a system restore and that did not work. I went into device manager and you suggestion also did not work. Yesterday I did I fresh install of windows, and the problem still exists. How com the keyboard works in the opening screen to type my password but then does not work when the computer is fully booted.

Hmm, another option could be something inside windows. Try either checking the "numlock' after in windows and/or try booting in "Safe Mode" and see if you still get the problem.

It may be a "Numlock" problem. Here are three ways to try and unlock it.

A. You can try this shortcut, press (together) the Fn + Nmlk keys.

B. You can also try disabling it in the registry...

1. Press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run box.
2. Type "regedit" and press "Enter" to open the Windows "Registry Editor".
3. In the "Registry Editor", open the following registry key.

HKEY_USER\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard\

4. In the keyboard folder, you should see a string value named “InitialKeyboardIndicators” with a value of 0, 1, or 2. You need to change the value to 1, and you’re done.

NOTE: The Values are as follows...

0 = Num Lock is turned OFF after the logon.
1 = Disable Num Lock.
2 = Numlock is turned ON after the logon.

C. Disable NumLock in the BIOS

You can also change how your computer handles the NumLock, when the computer first boots up, through the BIOS.

1. Turn on your computer, and as soon as you see the initial POST boot screen, press the designated key for entering the BIOS Setup.
2. Locate the the “NumLock State,” “NumLock Key“, “Boot Up NumLock Status” or a similar option
3. Change the value to Disabled or Off.
4. Save your changes and exit the BIOS.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

Solution