Solved! Keyboard stops working after login

HoboMaster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi,

My external keyboard works at the Windows login screen but stops working once I log in. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, updating the drivers, updating Windows 10, and plugging it into different ports. The keyboard works on other computers. I just tried plugging a different keyboard into this computer and it does not work either. Only my laptop's built-in keyboard works. The function lights on the keyboards all turn on when it is plugged in. Then when you touch a button, the lights turn off except for the num lock light, but nothing else happens.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Solution
When you uninstalled and then reinstalled the keyboard driver, did you make sure to uninstall it, reboot the computer without reinstalling it and then allow the computer to reinstall it on its own? If not, I would try it that way.

Should that not work, and assuming you are connecting via a USB port, then I would try the following and see if it resolves it.

Try this...
  1. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager".
  2. Expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section.
  3. Double-click on the "USB Root Hub device".
  4. Now click the "Power Management" tab.
  5. Uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
  6. Click the "OK" button.
NOTE: If there is more than one "USB Root Hub device"...
When you uninstalled and then reinstalled the keyboard driver, did you make sure to uninstall it, reboot the computer without reinstalling it and then allow the computer to reinstall it on its own? If not, I would try it that way.

Should that not work, and assuming you are connecting via a USB port, then I would try the following and see if it resolves it.

Try this...
  5. Uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
NOTE: If there is more than one "USB Root Hub device" listed, Then you will have to repeat this steps for each one of them.

7. Restart the computer.

Solution

HoboMaster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try this...
NOTE: If there is more than one "USB Root Hub device" listed, Then you will have to repeat this steps for each one of them.

7. Restart the computer.

Yes, I uninstalled everything, restarted, and then plugged things back in one-by-one, with the keyboard last. No change.

I've tried the power management thing. No change.

HoboMaster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just a follow up for anyone that finds this looking for a solution. I finally had to reset Windows and it fixed the issue. Not the most convenient solution, but it worked.