Kid Steals Credit Card, Blows $1,400 on FarmVille

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Come on guys, give the kid a break. After all, he just blew $1.4K because he wanted "good stuff" for his virtual animals. Err...

Don't compare this game to WoW. You can't dump money in WoW in order to buy things. Well, not legally at least...

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]the_punkinator[/nom]Geez console fags always said PC gaming was expensive.[/citation]

What does that inflammatory remark have to do with anything? I'm confused, especially considering this game is accessed with a PC...

G

This could have been avoided if the Mother had been alert in safeguarding her credit card.

donjoy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Why don't the parents themselves take responsibility? In this case the Mom? Is it not their responsibility to let their children know whats good and wats bad? Now most of the parents are not finding time to spend with their children in this busy world, and no wonder why they always sit infront of computers and do these kindof stuff. Children learn about internet and more thru different media and friends circle.
I think its parents who should have an eye on what their kid is upto. If at this small age if parents cant control, imagine the worst when they grow up.
Anyway in this case even the child innocently replied to his mom. Now the child will understand it better and maynot involve in these kindof stuff if he realized what he did.
Facebook or such sites can may be enhance the security etc, but for children there are lot of sites where they can do what all they wanted to. So parents...take control !!!!!

donjoy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Why don't the parents themselves take responsibility? In this case the Mom? Is it not their responsibility to let their children know whats good and wats bad? Now most of the parents are not finding time to spend with their children in this busy world, and no wonder why they always sit infront of computers and do these kindof stuff. Children learn about internet and more thru different media and friends circle.
I think its parents who should have an eye on what their kid is upto. If at this small age if parents cant control, imagine the worst when they grow up.
Anyway in this case even the child innocently replied to his mom. Now the child will understand it better and maynot involve in these kindof stuff if he realized what he did.
Facebook or such sites can may be enhance the security etc, but for children there are lot of sites where they can do what all they wanted to. So parents...take control !!!!!

guanyu210379

Distinguished
The mother is at fault here.
1. No internet for underaged kids without any adult companion (here is the parents or teachers).
2. Put your credit cards in the appopriate places.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I don't know anything about Farmville (I will wiki it later) other than my Facebook notifications are made up, "(Random person from high school) has planted petunias!" or some other fruit. How much are people paying to plant digital fruit?

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I've always maintained that social networking sites will be the downfall of mankind. Mark my words, this is only the beginning!

But seriously, she is right. It is too easy for anybody to take a credit card and commit fraud. Credit cards should have a security code that you need to punch in when doing transactions online. I'm not talking about the 3 digit code on the back, but an actual password that the transaction website must compare with your CC provider to make sure you are the person who has the card in hand.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]falconqc[/nom]I'm not talking about the 3 digit code on the back, but an actual password that the transaction website must compare with your CC provider to make sure you are the person who has the card in hand.[/citation]

A fine idea. However, even that password could be compromised. I mean this was her kid. Maybe she would have trusted him to have it...passwords are great, still easier to be aware of what your kid is doing...

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I've never played S**tville, but I seen a friend play it once. It has to be the stupidest game in existence. But I had NO idea you had to pay for that S**T! Wow, brainwashed much? As the digital age progresses, humans are de-evolving into dumb, gelatinous, meatsicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.