Kindle Fire Prevents Android Market Visits, Re-Rooting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]This thread is not about Apple; you're in the wrong place. Trying to troll a bit? Besides, people like you could never understand why we are not pleased with Amazon's (or B&N's) approach. They went back on their word, pretty much, and that's what is not acceptable. ?[/citation]

They went back on their word? Where exactly did they promise that you could root their device at will and for the rest of it's life? I could be wrong but I would be surprised if that was in the EULA.

[citation][nom]house70[/nom]In this case, though, I believe the damage is not too great, as there will be some other solutions besides SuperOneClick, or this one WILL be updated to include the latest firmware. Some "simpleminded" devs out there are making sure of that. Being so sophisticated, I am pretty sure you can grasp that, can't you?[/citation]

I was calling the folks who believed that Amazon/B&N would put out a device at a loss and allow you to easily root (and not purchase apps from them) simpleminded. I don't really think the devs are simpleminded. That being said, Amazon/B&N approach is to make it difficult to root the device (not impossible); this limits the number of people rooting it and thereby increases their potential revenue stream.

G

It was one of the first things i tried, i would have thought this was well known that trying to hit the android market with any browser will pipe you to the amazon app market (you actually have to launch and install from the android market app itself)

Other than revenue Amazon does has some legitimacy in having amazon app store, the fire has some interesting idiosyncrasies (like no home button, no volume buttons, the status bar to name a few), the majority of folks who buy the fire wont know squat if their apps started to behave funny

side-loading is still possible

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Selling at a loss is decptive in itself. They are just doing this to give the preception that they have a cheaper Android "tablet" than the next guy. The deception is realized when you get it home and realize that you are locked into doing business only with them.

I would rather them mark the harwadre up a bit more so they make money and won't resort to decptive ad controlling software crap to stop me from using a computing device I bought as I want to use it.

And hijaaking search queries ... Come on ... That is what viruses do.

G

Um, ah, I don't yet have the update and I haven't been able to install Android apps - those not in Amazon's own store - since the day I got the FIre about 3 weeks ago. Believe me, the first thing I tried to do was get Firefox mobile and when I went to download, I got an error message from the Fire. (I did find a workaround and got it loaded only to discover that, for me, on the Fire, Opera Mobile is the better browser.)

G

@bleyten

actually wont work, you need to have associated a Google account with a kindle fire device, which is only possible if you had installed Android market, which is only possible with a rooted device, but the good news is anyone who has done this now has access to android market and can have android market push apps to your kindle fire (you can actually log into android market on a desktop select the apps you like and have it pushed to your kindle fire the next time it has a wifi connection)

@RemySecor

Ive found that sideloadeding the apk from mozilla a bit of a mess and resulted in a very buggy firefox, firefox on android market is much more stable (no idea why) and dont even touch nightly (it's not even remotely in the same stability league as the desktop nightly), but firefox is flashless, so far the most complete experience i have had with he kindle fire is using Dolphin HD i would highly recommend it

Status
Not open for further replies.