Kiosks: The Virus Source You're Unaware Of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]My question is...is there really anything on a picture kiosk to infect? Almost all viruses are directed at Microsoft OS's and their other software so what does a kiosk have that might be worth messing with? My Kaspersky AV software pops a scan window up anytime I insert a USB ram drive and any other removable store media and hopefully all other AVs do the same. This seems more like an ad for Linux than an actual story...anyone else notice that?[/citation]

Don't be a div. Those Kiosks are running Windows. They are bound to get infected. Seeing as some of them handle payment they may even be activly targeted themselves! You can never be too careful with the security and integrity of your data and systems

G

Ha ha ha ha. Viruses don't care about what is "worth messing with" on any computer infected. They infect things. Its a point of entry to get on other computers. They said "boot disks" Not "It has to be Linux"

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
When using ubuntu for this purpose, I recommend using gparted with ntfsprogs for formatting. Gparted is not preinstalled anymore on the latest ubuntu versions so you have to install it yourself:

sudo apt-get install gparted ntfsprogs

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]flightmare[/nom]When using ubuntu for this purpose, I recommend using gparted with ntfsprogs for formatting. Gparted is not preinstalled anymore on the latest ubuntu versions so you have to install it yourself:sudo apt-get install gparted ntfsprogs[/citation]
No point in showing off your linux skills here, nobody will be impressed.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Have you considered USB Vaccine? Most virus that travel this way use autorun. It pretty much makes it so flash drives can not autorun(and autorun can not be added to it once its vaccinated). So as long as you do not hop on the card/stick and go runs some random files you should be fairly safe with this.

http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-usb-and-autorun-vaccine/

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I hate to sound naive here... but... what can a thumb drive do if you don't have auto play on? flash drives never auto ran on xp for me (to the point that I made my own program to do it...) and nothing seems to auto run on win 7...

also, a kiosk would only need to access the drive in a read only mode, which could easily lead to better security measures on their end too.

razercultmember1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]..or you can buy a cheap photo printer for less thsn $100 and print them out yourself. I haven't printed out a pic in years anyway.[/citation]

lol same, the size of my g9 CMOS is way big thus big ass paper and a big ass printer

lancelot123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Walmart's (and Sam's Club) kiosks run windows. BUT they are physically incapable of writing to the inserted media or deleting anything from them. Safety concerns. Been like this for at least 8 years.

chodaboy

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hmm, I thought all cameras had a format function for the SD-card. Make picture, print picture from SD-card, format card in camera. A lot less work then booting up from a cd and all that.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]My question is...is there really anything on a picture kiosk to infect? Almost all viruses are directed at Microsoft OS's and their other software so what does a kiosk have that might be worth messing with? My Kaspersky AV software pops a scan window up anytime I insert a USB ram drive and any other removable store media and hopefully all other AVs do the same. This seems more like an ad for Linux than an actual story...anyone else notice that?[/citation]
I think you are missing the end goal here. People don't really care so much as to raise hell with the kiosk. They are using the kiosk to get to you. Oh and FYI, Microsoft is not the only OS that can be hacked. It's just the one people like to talk about so much and that is because it is the most used OS. Go take a look at a free program called metasploit and see how fast I can get into your system. As for your AV, it is always one step behind as with all other AV programs.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Format your media using a Live CD after you're done?

Lifehacker is aware that the majority of kiosk customers aren't very computer literate, yes? And if you have the technical expertise to use a Live CD then you're going to be more than capable of checking for, and clearing out, any virus protection from the flash card or thumb drive.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
This is sheer stupidity. This speaks to how well these things are 'protected' if they can get viruses on them, knowing that they do things like payment processing.

What we really need is for computers to state that NOTHING can be installed on a machine without permission, and it KILLS anything that automatically runs if it isn't part of the OS or a known good process.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Or format it in windows, in XP hold shift so autorun won't start and in vista/seven/xpsp3 autorun won't start anyway, it asks you what you want to do, that won't infect your pc, that's why they came up with that. In any case, there are easier ways then having to boot off of a CD that takes 5 minutes or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.