Kno Prices HUGE Textbook Ereader at $899

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Tegra 2? so it's also for things other than reading, and looking at the second picture looks like a web page on the left screen!

If they threw android onto this, it'd be awesome! as long as it wasn't 1.6 like most do..

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Yes Id definitely buy the singlescreen. Being able to write in the ebook itself is the most convenient thing Ive seen in an ebook. Its big and its light. Right now I have to carry around my biology and chemistry books(which are enormous), and that doesnt fare well with my back problems. Still a bit expensive though, but Id buy it anyway, and since when does a budget laptop cost $599?

Spike53

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
If they can get textbook publishers to make ebooks for it at a reasonable price I'd seriously consider getting one. I'm already looking at $1500 a year on books so any reductions would be great.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
How many schools have e-Books available for all classes? And are they at a reduced price such that a student could recoup that $899 price tag after 4-years? And what about re-selling books or used books, I know buying used and reselling books for non-core classes helped me a lot.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Seriously? For $599(you have to be complete bonkers to buy the $899 model) for something that is basically a digital book? Am I missing something here, or do you have to be unbelievably dumb to not just buy a laptop?(which a large majority of college students already have BTW) If you can make books digital way not forgo the expensive, unwieldy, and limited power of this hardware and just use the same digital books on a laptop.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
The college textbook business is a scam. I doubt textbook publishers are willing to release reasonably-priced digital editions of their books anytime soon, I mean look at what the prices are at now? The price difference between physical and digital copies is utterly negligible.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I'd buy e-texts if my textbooks were available in digital. None of them are digital, and probably won't be until well after I graduate.

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
lets see.. my math book is around $200, physics $250, chem $300. and that's just one semester of books. if this does more then just read books as it seems to suggest, and you can get textbooks cheaper then i would defiantly buy the 2 screen model.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Seriously? For $599(you have to be complete bonkers to buy the $899 model) for something that is basically a digital book? Am I missing something here, or do you have to be unbelievably dumb to not just buy a laptop?(which a large majority of college students already have BTW) If you can make books digital way not forgo the expensive, unwieldy, and limited power of this hardware and just use the same digital books on a laptop.[/citation]

-1 dude, you obviously never went to college, hahaha. weight, portability and DUAL 14" screens. $1200-1500 is what students typically pay for PER YEAR in college, not to mention changing majors, minors, full classes, causes alot of headaches. also the thing is yours for life, it will always be a good book reader after college. how many books do you ever read that are 28"? seriously you could read a news paper on this thing pratically, any magazine will be HUGE on it.

and the nail in the coffin: (drum roll please) YOU CAN WRITE IN IT and not like atyping, i mean WRITING and it comes out in text like you typed it :p. since when can you do that in any laptop esp. with out a digital pad and stylus, this ain't no game boy advance.

if you could hook it up to your computer and use it to play crisis2.... that'd just be another bonus!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
oh and 5 lbs. seriously, you're going to complain about 5 pounds? my first laptop the BATTERY was 5lbs. if 5 pounds is so flippen hard for you, never get an education, the books in your backpack are going to KILL YOU. we should pit Jane up against you and watch her smack the wussieness right out of you and back into your momma/daddy that's how bad you sound whinning about 5 measely pounds. you are a disgrace to mankind. my cordless 18v tools weigh more then that, so do most of my guns and air tools. i think my boots even weigh that much.

yahodahan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
"...you are a disgrace to mankind. my cordless 18v tools weigh more then that, so do most of my guns and air tools. i think my boots even weigh that much."

crackin me up :p Are we debating the book, or your sheer-lumberjack-bruce-willis-manliness?
hahaha...

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
8 hours of battery life for an ebook reader. It's a joke, right? And a price tag of 999... this will redefine the notion: stupid rich kids

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Not interested, I want A4 size ebook reader that last at least week on battery (wireless off) and dont use LCD kind of display. LCD suck at reading text and even more on direct sunlight.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
14.1" is perhaps a bit too much, but I certainly like the idea. Dual screen, each screen standard A4 size would be ideal imo.

Small e-readers are a pain to read textbooks on, especially things that are usually small and fairly hard to read (I'm looking at you, complex mathematical formulas) and you can't really take notes with them. Imagine using the left screen for reading and the right for taking notes with a styles. Heaven...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS