Knoxville High School Makes iPads Mandatory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Think they'd allow a Android or Windows XP/7 tablet instead?
There are those of us who would enroll into a different school before buying an iPad. Or maybe just me...

warlord1312

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Why the iPad? Decent notebooks can be obtained for those prices that can do so much more while still being light and cheap. Also what about the issue of theft since every kid will have one?

G

On the long run, i guess the rental is still cheaper than purchasing text books no?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
ok, my problem with this is replacing books with ipads. the ipad itself will out date every yea, possibly 2, and tech wise, become almost unusable in 3 due to apple forceing os migration.

a book, unless its cutting edge science class, will last 10-20 years, and over all, if there is a MAJOR breakthrough in how we know science form grade 1-12, we can make a copy and give it to the kids.

over all its cheaper to get a new book than to get an ipad every 3 years.

at the very least get a program that is universal, as in ipad, laptop, and so forth. that way there is choice. i would be @#$%in @#$%ed if i had to pay even 200$ for one of those over blown pieces of @!#$, much less 600$ every 2-3 years or 2400 total for rending the thing.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
This is ridiculous, iPad s far away from being trend, it have too small small share in notebook market for that. Personally if my child is on that school and they raise this requirements I would be more then wiling to sue them.
Also Steve is not going see single penny from me because there are often better or cheaper options and more user friendly business models.

There is nothing wrong from requiring students to have notebook or ebook reader, but forcing you to use single brand is not right.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Notice they also "offer" a rental service. And I bet they only accept iPads and not any other device for their books.

It simple, their getting low rates on their "Apple" educational computers, and if they push the iPad they will get lower rates on their equipment. Apple has been doing similar things for educational institutions for years, offering lower rates as long as the institution only goes with Apple branded equipment. The students use the Apple products are get used to it, then as adults they are supposed to prefer Apple products over MS ones. Its Apple's way of breaking how universal the MS platform is. Just ask anyone who is an Arts / Graphics design major, everything the university taught them on was Apple branded even though there are better non-Apple items out there. Industry standard isn't even Apple, but hey its supposed to make you more "creative" huh.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Oh I love what we're teaching our children: "Spend your money on toys that suck you in and waste your life away." Yep, that sums up the iPad, iPhone and iPod right there. I'll give Apple some credit though, the iMac does absolutely nothing game-worthy.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]xrodney[/nom]There is nothing wrong from requiring students to have notebook or ebook reader, but forcing you to use single brand is not right.[/citation]

This was my first thought as well. But then I thought about it more... when I buy a book for a class, it has to be a specific book written by a specific author(s), and often has to be a specific edition of the book.

So really, this request isn't so far off from what most students in universities/private schools have to do now.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If they want to embrace new tech why force them into a single brand who is locked to one store with near no possibility to be "creative"?

Instead allow the user to pick the brand of choice, i know i would take the win7 tablet over an ipad ANY day, tons of software way more possibility to be truly creative!

I for one don't like being looked up in a sheep pen!

And in latest news - The Knoxwille School have received a sum of money from Apple after fulfilling a contract!

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
hey how about we do what I suggested in the 90's... give the kids their own room with their own pc and desk and have the teachers move around from class to class. lessons on power point presentations can be emailed to the students so they can have them for notes etc and the teacher just needs a notebook and each classroom can have a projector for the teacher to plug into. Then none of the kids need to be carrying around an 800 dollar piece of equipment they just mail their home work home or do it remotely from home on their school pc. No need to endorse any one company over another either cause as long as they can install logmein or gotomypc or some other web based vpn client they can do their home work and get their assignments off of their classroom computer from anywhere in the world.

But of course that wouldnt make them learn any better if the teacher sucks... which is why we need to get rid of teachers unions first.

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
While I agree with every single one of you.. look at it from the school's perspective.

What other tech can they lock down as they see fit.. no pr0n.. no usb.. LOL

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.