Kodak Had a Nuclear Reactor in NY for Nearly 30 Years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Is this a bit I don't understand? Is Tom's really getting this young that this will get thumbs up and the kid can't even spell Nuclear?[/citation]
i like to think that just because you spell wrong or have crap grammar here, people can look past it. its not about being a kid, its that most of us are adult enough to not disreguard a whole comment for 1 word.

amuffin

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
This seems so appropriate today:
nothing-to-do-here-template.jpg.scaled500.jpg

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
3.5 lbs = 1.6 Kg
Uranium-235 Critical mass = 52 kg with no engineering / 10 kg in the best highly engineered circumstances.
I think we were always safe.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]What other companies have secret nuclear reactors in their basements? This is a photo company, not one you'd think would have such a thing. I doubt Kodak security was military grade. If someone wanted, they probably could have stolen the enriched uranium for a bomb.[/citation]

Stop talking about things you have no clue about. Reactor grade uranium and bomb grade uranium are completely different. If someone were to somehow get a hold of it they would have to further enrich it.

Typical people shouting about crap as if they know. I bet you think a nuclear reactor can blow up like a nuclear bomb too...

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Would be kind of difficult since no one knew about it.[/citation]
that would be doubly hard considering nuclear reactor by products is NOT uranium

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Here's a fun fact for you: All of the estimated deaths caused by nuclear power (fukushima, three mile island, chernobyl...) don't add to to one years worth of deaths caused by coal pollution. Nor do they add up to those deaths caused in coal mining accidents over the past few decades...

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]stalker7d7[/nom]Here's a fun fact for you: All of the estimated deaths caused by nuclear power (fukushima, three mile island, chernobyl...) don't add to to one years worth of deaths caused by coal pollution. Nor do they add up to those deaths caused in coal mining accidents over the past few decades...[/citation]

Maybe so, but they are responsible for more snakes with two heads and glowing tails than coal.

Folks, most schools with nuclear engineering programs have research reactors. Most schools conducting medical radiation therapy research get their materials from these research reactors. There are ~50 of them in the U.S., and the fact that you haven't heard of an accident with them (the only incident I know of was a poisoning/murder attempt with radioactive materials at MIT in the 1990s) should tell you something about their safety.

In terms of things you should be worried about in life, they are down around #9473. The most dangerous thing you do every day is ride in a car.
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Maybe so, but they are responsible for more snakes with two heads and glowing tails than coal.[/citation]
Pollution from coal plants is the biggest source of radioactive uranium and thorium released into the environment. The trace amounts of uranium contained in coal actually contain more energy (if used to provide nuclear power) than the coal itself. Think of all the fuel rods used to power all the nuclear reactors in the U.S. Imagine grinding 3x that amount into powder and scattering them in the air and soil around the country. That's what we do with the coal we burn.

And that's just the radioactive stuff. You know how you can't eat tuna because of mercury? Guess where that comes from? Right - coal. Acid rain? Coal. CO2? Arsenic? Lead? Coal, coal, coal.

tk1138

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Solandri[/nom]Folks, most schools with nuclear engineering programs have research reactors. Most schools conducting medical radiation therapy research get their materials from these research reactors. There are ~50 of them in the U.S., and the fact that you haven't heard of an accident with them (the only incident I know of was a poisoning/murder attempt with radioactive materials at MIT in the 1990s) should tell you something about their safety.In terms of things you should be worried about in life, they are down around #9473. The most dangerous thing you do every day is ride in a car.Pollution from coal plants is the biggest source of radioactive uranium and thorium released into the environment. The trace amounts of uranium contained in coal actually contain more energy (if used to provide nuclear power) than the coal itself. Think of all the fuel rods used to power all the nuclear reactors in the U.S. Imagine grinding 3x that amount into powder and scattering them in the air and soil around the country. That's what we do with the coal we burn.And that's just the radioactive stuff. You know how you can't eat tuna because of mercury? Guess where that comes from? Right - coal. Acid rain? Coal. CO2? Arsenic? Lead? Coal, coal, coal.[/citation]

santa gives you coal if you have been bad.

so are you saying santa is trying to poison all the bad children with radioactive particles and mercury and other heavy metals....

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]tk1138[/nom]santa gives you coal if you have been bad. so are you saying santa is trying to poison all the bad children with radioactive particles and mercury and other heavy metals....[/citation]
Only when you burn it.. Unless Santa burns it (and probably the house), it'll be fine.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Forget Kodak's nuke reactor.
Ohh you peeps would be surprised what is even lurking in your own cudboards!
All those ingredients/chemicals can make some nasty things when combined.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jezus53[/nom]Stop talking about things you have no clue about. Reactor grade uranium and bomb grade uranium are completely different. If someone were to somehow get a hold of it they would have to further enrich it.Typical people shouting about crap as if they know. I bet you think a nuclear reactor can blow up like a nuclear bomb too...[/citation]
Stop telling people they're stupid when you haven't fully thought it through yourself. I did not say "nuclear bomb", I simply said "bomb." I bet you think you're a nuclear physicist too, smarter than everyone on the internets!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]everix[/nom]You're a moron. It clearly says in the article that it was dismantled in 2006 and they weren't bankrupt (or hadn't filed for it) until this year.[/citation]
do you really believe that they broke it down?....you are so gullible......you must also believe it when the government tells you that Area 51 does not exist

Status
Not open for further replies.