Labels: Apple is Better Than Google, Amazon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jeremy2020[/nom]No details, but apple's service will be better? The writer of this should be ashamed. How much did the RIAA pay for this advertisement?[/citation]

In reality Job's is pushing the music industry to start releasing high quality audio that will be 24-bit. Add to this the fact that Apple hired one of the big dawgs of THX, and it is obvious Apple wants to raise the bar on consumer audio. The recording industry is aware of these goals and though Apple may push a higher standard on the music industry it is the consumer who will ultimately win.

As it is, it makes no sense. Recordings are done in 24-bit, 96 KHz and then they degrade them to 16-bit, 44.1 KHz for the consumer. Maybe someday we will see SACD quality as the baseline audio codec.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation]as many uploaded music files (FLAC, AAC and WMA) to Google's cloud are transcoded before landing on server[/citation]

Why would they transcode the uploaded music? If so, then the user won't be getting the original full hi-fi quality of the music that they supposedly had bought. If the FLAC is 24/96, I expect I get that original full quality music from the cloud everywhere.

matt2k

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
google's music beta is not available outside of the states. was gonna try it but pretty much every gadget i own has enough storage should i want to use it as a media player.
i would love the streaming option, but as someone said, bandwidth caps are a ah heck. especially true for mobile devices that use a cellular network.
if the 'cloud' is to become a true convenience, unlimited (and cheap) internet options are a minimum requirement, whether it be on the go or at home

twist3d1080

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I have always hated the idea of cloud computing. The idea of paying some else to be responsible for my data always seemed dangerous to me. I might as well sign my rights away to the U.S. Government because they promised me that they would be "realy really good this time, we promise." The minute large corporations have the only link to our data, who's to stop them from abusing their new found power. Its just seems lazy. To me Richard Jackson said it best.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Our access to data is now our most important liberty, one that should be protected. Our ability to educate ourselves leads to true freedom and most who are in charge wish to take this away from us the most.

twist3d1080

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom][citation]as many uploaded music files (FLAC, AAC and WMA) to Google's cloud are transcoded before landing on server[/citation]Why would they transcode the uploaded music? If so, then the user won't be getting the original full hi-fi quality of the music that they supposedly had bought. If the FLAC is 24/96, I expect I get that original full quality music from the cloud everywhere.[/citation]

They transcode the material to evade DMCA laws or what ever is kind of copyright law that governs this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.