Labtop charging cable adapter become burning hot only after several minutes of use

berknix

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
2
0
4,510
0
I have an origin 15-s labtop with a 180watt charging cable. Whenever I plug it in with the computer running, it seems fine at first, but only after a few minutes of low performance use, the adapter becomes extremely hot to where it burns just to touch it. There is also a slight smell of burning plastic. Despite this overheating, the rest of the power cable is fine and doesn't seem to heat up at all (brick, cable, plug). Also the windows (7) says the adapter isn't charging when it is plugged in sometimes. My labtop is pretty expensive with good specs so I don't want to replace it. Other forums suggest replacing the adapter (which I did with no luck) or the battery. I am suspecting the battery is to blame because I haven't replaced that, but I just want to be sure before I spend more money. Plz tell me anything that might be causing this and how to fix it.
Thx-
 

ffg7

Distinguished
Moderator
is not a dust or thermal paste issue as won't cause that. something inside like motherboard, battery or something else is creating a short causing that power adapter to overheat. as that adapter is a replacement but still does it then problem is in the laptop itself.
 
Hi,

Try to run some test first just to point where the problem really is.
- Start by removing the battery and boot it up with just the AC adapter connected then observe if the same problem will persist.
- If it doesn't that means it's the battery that is faulty since the AC adapter is working too hard to power the laptop and charge the defective battery.
- If the same problem will persist then the problem lies inside the PC itself.
- If you had the laptop for quite some time already and you haven't clean the inside of it maybe it's time to clean the inside and apply new thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU.
 

ffg7

Distinguished
Moderator
is not a dust or thermal paste issue as won't cause that. something inside like motherboard, battery or something else is creating a short causing that power adapter to overheat. as that adapter is a replacement but still does it then problem is in the laptop itself.
 

berknix

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
2
0
4,510
0
I started up the computer without the battery and the adapter is still overheating.
I will try to clean out my laptop as best I can although it's not that old, but i probably wont get to that until tomorrow or at most the day after.
I'll tell you the results once I'm done.
Thx for the help so far and hope for the best

 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 2
F Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
0 Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 4
M Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS