Labtop in the $500 range

smile9999

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I am looking for a laptop to do presentations on and design programs which I suppose are very CPU intensive not really sure but on my last desktop dual core 2.5 ghz they used to lag, I will be using the faq temp on this site for your convenience, hope you can help me, thanks

1_What is your budget? $500 range

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" would be good, no lower though

3_What screen resolution do you want? doesnt matter much

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5_How much battery life do you need? 5+ hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? this is not really a gaming laptop, I am buying a desktop for that :), so just the rare games on low settings

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) this is my main use for the laptop, design programs, autocad 2D/3D, Pro/ENGINEER, solid edge and office for presentations

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? not much anything over 100 GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. not really, there are not very good online stores in my country

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3+ years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? doesnt matter much

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. well its not much as like but I heard alot of HP and DELL and accer but whatever is good

13_What country do you live in? Egypt

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. I dont need this as a replacement for a desktop, so not much gaming or any of that, I would love if it is light, but I dont care much, thanks alot for any help

Solution
Something like the Acer Aspire AS5734Z-4512 Pentium T4500(2.30GHz) would be slightly less powerful than your E5200 but might fall in your laptop budget range.
Here is a list of laptop CPUs. It also shows an occasional desktop CPU for performance comparisons.
Pentium T4500 is 73 on that list. Anything higher in the list will be more powerful.
Look for the best CPU you can afford. Hopefully you'll see something like Core i3-330 (#54) or Core i3-350 (#48) in your price range.

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Getting a 15 inch laptop with 5+ hours of battery time is a tall order. Under $500 is going to be quite difficult.
I would look for core i5 or i3 with integrated graphics. I would also look for 4 gigs of ram for multitasking in win7.

For autocad I usually recommend a workstation graphics solution, I am not sure you will find this in that price range.

If it would lag on the desktop there is a good chance it will REALLY lag on a laptop.
-> What was your actual dual core 2.5Ghz CPU? We need to know that so we don't suggest a slower laptop CPU.

Sounds like you really need a 'desktop replacement' type of laptop.

Your desktop E5200 CPU is more powerful than many budget laptop CPUs.
The new Core i3 M 330 @ 2.13GHz laptop CPU is a bit more powerful than your E5200 but it wouldn't be a huge improvement. Your programs would likely 'lag' the same way as they did before.

Go ahead and list the laptops you have available to you. We'll help you sort them out and choose the best one you can afford.

smile9999

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
well I dont know much about labtops and the selection here is huge(weirdly enough), but the most popular laptops here are asus or accer or dell or hp, so whatever you think will work good, I will take it :)

Something like the Acer Aspire AS5734Z-4512 Pentium T4500(2.30GHz) would be slightly less powerful than your E5200 but might fall in your laptop budget range.
Here is a list of laptop CPUs. It also shows an occasional desktop CPU for performance comparisons.
Pentium T4500 is 73 on that list. Anything higher in the list will be more powerful.
Look for the best CPU you can afford. Hopefully you'll see something like Core i3-330 (#54) or Core i3-350 (#48) in your price range.

Solution