lap top story

morselicious

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
I buy my wife a new computer every year. She is very hard on them. This one had been dropped maybe 4 or 5 times. After the last times that was started up a message comes on say "hard drive failure immident" . I found a cloud type computer on sale and bought her one. I got the old one in hopes of repairing it and using it for a remote control airplane simulator, in place of the old one.(Bought that laptop in 2008). The laptop she had was a HP 15-r015 DX Notebook PC. I found a replacement refurnished hard drive that was "raw".
I had tried to copy or make a recovery disc of this drive after the first time "HD failure" was displayed. That did not work. The system just wouldn't allow that to be done.
What do you think I should do now? I would rather figure out how to fix the lap top than throw it away. Do you think the manufacturer might have a recovery disc for that unit? I do have a copy of windows 7 to install and of course a "raw" hard drive of the same make and model. Anyone with any suggestions, that "might" work? Or if you think I'm scr*** please let me know. In the mean time I will reinstall the orignal HD and try to make a recovery disc or try to update the bios.

Solution
The cheap laptops are slow, so yes they are slow to start. I suggest no more computer till she learns to hold them without dropping or get her a kid's tablet with a nice rubber protector. Sounds like that refurb disk is bad.

morselicious

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

While the new raw hd was installed I tried : put the win 7 dvd in the player and turned off then on the laptop. I got a error message saying "Boot device not found"
Please install an operating system on your hard disk.
Hard Disk (3F0)
F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techenter/startup

While I did go to that web site, I could not find any information about my problem.

Link not working correctly.

Did you check the boot order in the BIOS?

morselicious

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

you are right. I will reinstall the old hd and change the bios to reconize the cd rom as the first in order. I will let you now it it works later on this day. Thanks so far...everyone.

morselicious

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
so I went into the bios and TRYED to change boot order.." a change to the secure boot mode is pending. Please enter the passcode displayed to complete the change.
Operating System Boot Mode Change (021)
6875 + ENTER - to complete the change.
I entered 6875 then pressed enter, did not work. But when you press ESC the change doesn't happen and you go back to the bios page. Any one else with any ideas?

morselicious

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
Bought a cloud laptop for her. Are they supposed to be so slow at startup? She runs the battery dead prevously and when powering up is very slow to "load"? If you get from the cloud, why is it slower than compared to her old Hp 15?