Laptop 6gb to 16gb?

CielDiabloGamer

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
I have an old Acer Aspire 5750g. It's got an i3-2130M (Sandy Bridge), 6gb ram, 500gb HDD and Intel HD 3000 graphics (I'm sad about these because they're terrible although I didn't expect much) and I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile upgrading to 16gb ram for the next few years as I want to use it as a backup laptop for when i get a new one, a laptop to put all my random files on and a media editing laptop and I would play some games on it every so often. I am currently building a PC so don't say "Get a PC" as I am covered on that aspect but I was just wondering if I should upgrade the ram to get any more performance out of this thing as it has been very poorly performing recently. Also if I upgrade the ram will I get more shared vram for my HD 3000? I was just wondering as like I said, I want to play the odd game on here which I will play on my new pc and other laptop. Bear in mind I have only had it for a year, and I intend to keep if for a few more years as I think it is a nice little laptop...it just gets a little frustrating when it wont let me do the thing I want to do or I can do it but it just does it poorly :( Thanks for reading and any other help will be great! (Also I am wiping the harddrive when I transfer what I need to over to my new pc so maybe that will help)

aakarshan

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
It will not help in the daily tasks.The 3000 can not play very high variety of games.
older games don't require ram more than 1-2 GB so you are enough with 6 GB of ram.
Also check for the viruses and adwares in your laptop.Maybe they are creating a problem.

Some PUPs and harmful data could still bug you even though antivirus and antimalware softwares show positive results in full system scan. Download this .exe file and scan your system (no installation required)

http://www.techsupportall.com/adware-removal-tool/

Also look for the better cooling for your laptop.

CielDiabloGamer

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014

On the cooling thing I have a huge fan next to me and I could point that at my laptop however that would be very loud :/

aakarshan

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
It's better to buy a cooling pad instead.

CielDiabloGamer

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014

Like I said in the original post I'll only be using it as a backup so not too much. Maybe put it to render something so I can play on my Desktop. And for use over friends houses and to put random crap so I don't think the cooling pad is necessary as I wont be using it as much as I currently do