Laptop abruptly shuts itself down and keeps restartin itself

Nash00794

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I have been using my laptop hp pavilion g6 for more than 5 yrs, couple of days ago i had a cooling vent blockage and was notified and it would shut down in few minutes if i were to switch it on , so i cleaned it up, and even since then my laptop never stays on for more than a few minutes, i dont hear any clicking sound from my hdd fyi, and the heating issue seems to be solved, i suspect a hdd failure but im not sure, please help

Solution
It is possible that the damaged area is causing it. It may well have also dented/dislodged something inside or knocks into the fan or something else. The laptop fans are very temperamental. They really should come up with a better component for cooling them down. If you try running one of the programs, it should tell you the temps inside as well as how well the fan(s) are doing, and more. It will give you a better picture of what is going on.
Well, it could be the hard drive but there are a few other things you can check first. Try running some monitoring software, your choice, I myself like speed fan, and see what it has to say about the systems temps, etc. Even though it is not telling you that you have a overheating issue, doesn't mean there still isn't one. Best to check.

Also, by the time it told you of the issue before, it could have caused damage already.

Lastly, if it is turning on at all, try checking the hard drive for issues, errors, etc.

Nash00794

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I think i was able to pinpoint the issue, kind of, my back casing is slightly cracked right close to where the fan is and causes a slight 'pop' as i adjust the lid/screen, it has been that way for years, it so happens that whenever i adjust the lid while the laptop is on it shuts itself down, could there be a power supply interferance occuring? because i read someone saying that he 'switched around the chassis power supply on' and that fixed it, i just wanted to be sure before i check into it

It is possible that the damaged area is causing it. It may well have also dented/dislodged something inside or knocks into the fan or something else. The laptop fans are very temperamental. They really should come up with a better component for cooling them down. If you try running one of the programs, it should tell you the temps inside as well as how well the fan(s) are doing, and more. It will give you a better picture of what is going on.

Solution