Laptop and Notebook Disassembly and Hardware Repair Guide

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

small_ville50

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Good day,,i desmantle my laptop toshiba a205 because no display but there are power..i check the cmos battery there is no volts or not working,,it is possible that the cause of no display is the cmos battery?thank you

KyrieAnne

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello!

Awesome post, wish I had found this one first! I recently took the lid off of my laptop, now using it with a separate monitor. Problem is, now I can't get the wifi to work. I followed that guide exactly, and I don't believe I yanked anything out of its rightful place. I have taped the antennae to my monitor, trying to give it height, but nothing. It detects my wireless network, but can't connect. I have reset the router and modem and such, as the troubleshooter suggested, but that didn't work. I would suspect its my connection, but this computer hops on just fine!

If you have any advice, I would really appreciate it!!!!!

Thank you!

Kyrie Anne

priyavishnu

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
I bought an Portronics Laptop Desk from "http://www.thevaluestore.in/supershop/Portronics-Laptop-Desk".

Weight : 1.9 kg

Capacity : 15 kg (max)

Maximum Height : 54 cm

The angle of Use : 0-360 degrees

Upper panels and handles : Aluminium

Joints : ABS + PVC

Anti-slip : Tire

USB Ports : 3 ports, USB 2.0

Cooling : 2 USB fan

Warranty : 12 months

cellcomp

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
I have a sony vaio model SVE111M1EM and for some time the screen appears but there is no lighting, if someone has already had that problem and has already solved or if someone can help me ,the repair by sending a diagram of raparation

rgnr

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Yo! Nice post! Too bad I found it too late. Well, anyways, sometime ago I replaced the mobo on my HP Pavilion dv6-1359wm, which afterwards became 1350us by some reason. I used the correct replacement part stated on HP Partsurf site. Nonetheless everything worked, but wifi. First the bios didn't accept the card, so I've disabled the whitelist. System boots ok, everything seems to be working fine, but wireless is disabled by a hardware switch, which remains red. The same I get whenever I try to use an external wife dongle.
Now, two things - while assembling the laptop first time, I accidentally switched wifi antennas. It was taken care of. Next some boot logs show that the bios is broken (currently it's F.46), however I was getting this message before the replacement. Anywayz, any suggestion/ideas/solutions? Thanx in advance.

Update: Today I came up with an idea, that simply wifi antennas can be broken. The laptop behaves the same with/without the antennas. The BIOS doesn't show an error, OS device manager shows the card is fine. And no wireless network found only in case either broken card or inability to receive the signal. Since the card is fine, there's only the seconde choice left... Anyways, it's only the conclusion, and I have to obtain new cables to check it. BTW, there's still a question why external dongle is disabled...

asrdhery

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
Very nice detailed guide, frozenlead!
24.gif

aktar26

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
I found this forum extremely useful being a great treasure of laptop and notebook related many issues. This is highly appreciable effort.

Willie0

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
i really learnt a lot from this post. its a typical DIY seminar on laptops. have a Dell one which the fan keeps stopping every 5 minutes. I better get my hands dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.