Laptop and Notebook Disassembly and Hardware Repair Guide

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roryj

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

ok have rerposted the question hopfully some one will get me out of my misery ;)

Frankr316

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
This was pleasant. I read through the whole document and found it very interesting. Now, if I have any problems with my laptop, I don't need to take it anywhere for repairs as now I just refer to this document. It is like repair guide for dummies. :)

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Kittens knock my HP laptop off of its stand. It fell and broke the power jack. Now I don't need to "reinvent the wheel". Great work.

maX0

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Very nice detailed guide, frozenlead!

Helped a lot when opening my satellite and didn't break/crack anything
as I was afraid I would.
btw. where do you have those cisco magnets from?

cheers

cahomsyjr

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

I'll donate mine, a dv7-1000, to the cause. Since HP won't fix it and all it's doing is taking up space on my desk. Hell you don't even have to put it back together just throw it out when you're done.

frozenlead

Distinguished

Those magnets are packaged with Cisco enterprise switches. You can use them to stick switches in temporary places or wherever if needed. A buddy of mine gave me a few from work - they have billions of the things. They're great for this, and for covering up AC vents in your house to even out the cooling. :)

G

I was wondering if you could do a disassembly of your NP5793 please!? I have one and needs to be cleaned; with your expertise, you're the best man for the job, plus your signature seems to indicate you own one...

Please!!

frozenlead

Distinguished
I won't have time to do a detailed one with pictures for a while, though I have dismantled it several times. It's actually pretty difficult. Most of the parts you'll need to access, though, are easily found under the bottom panel - that's all you'll need to remove for memory, hard disks, wireless cards, GPU, and CPU as well as fans, which should be good enough for most cleanings.

maX0

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Thanks!

frozenlead

Distinguished
Nice guide! I want to clean the fan. Do I really need to remove the keayboard and the speaker cover? Or can I jst remove the screws open the clam shell and clean it?

It depends on your specific model, but most of the time, the keyboard is screwed in to the notebook through both sides of the clamshell. In addition, the keyboard cable generally reaches through the top of the clam to the board, which is connected to the bottom of the clam, essentially holding the two together unless you want to damage the keyboard. You're going to need to remove the keyboard most of the time, as well as the speaker cover (which usually is a precursor to removing the keyboard).

Adelaideny

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I won't have time to do a detailed one with pictures for a while, though I have dismantled it several times. It's actually pretty difficult. Most of the parts you'll need to access, though, are easily found under the bottom panel - that's all you'll need to remove for memory, hard disks, wireless cards, GPU, and CPU as well as fans, which should be good enough for most cleanings. For more information on custom laptops
Yeah, me too. I need practice.

Daave12

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Such an impressive and informative guide I must say. It was great reading it and gaining some new information. Great job, keep it up!!

KIElectronics

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Fantastic guide to be honest, would be nice if there was other threads dedicated to certain parts of dissassembly. For example 'Fixing your Laptop Keyboard'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.