Laptop Backlight Problems

memoryproblems

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop in which the screen had been broken several years ago. When it broke, I didn't really use it much, so I put off replacing it. Here recently, I found an application for which I could use it a little more, so I purchased a new screen off the internet and installed it myself.

But for some reason, after a few minutes of use (in some cases, a few seconds), the backlight turns completely off. The screen goes black, and it basically looks like the computer is turned off, but if you shine a light on the screen, everything is still there just as it would normally be. If I wait a while (say 15-20 minutes) and move the mouse (without restarting, just waiting), the backlight will come back on for a period.

I've read some places that it could be the backlight or the inverter that is causing this problem. It's a brand new screen that I just purchased in December, however the screen that I bought is not exactly the same as the one that it originally had, as I went with a matte finish screen instead of a glossy finish screen. I'm not sure if this could have any effect on the problem.

I don't have any experience with screen problems, so if anybody has any tips or ideas on how I might be able to fix this, I would be greatly appreciative.