Laptop batter doubts

Kaos313

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Hi, I just bought an MSI laptop and before this one I had an HP laptop. The battery on my HP laptop was removable and I used to just take the battery off and use the laptop plugged with the charger plugged into it.

On my new MSI laptop the battery isnt removable and I dont want to spoil my battery. How should I use the battery, especially when playing games? MSi has a feature where you plug in the charger and you activate shift mode and it increases performance. Will playing videogames with my charger connected spoil my battery?

Also, I just bought the laptop and the battery is already spoiled.. It was at 85% and said 3 hours remaining, but 1 hour afterward it has only 40 minutes left.. Why?

Solution
Don't go paranoid babysitting the battery. Leave it plugged in when in used and if already charged or nearly fully charged and you are done for the day or walking away for hours, by all means unplug it then.

On a new laptop, it's always good to (1)Verify the Charge Cycle Count, if MSI doesn't tell you, then download a utility that will. It should also tell you the HEALTH% which, tada, should be near 100%. Then (2) go through a couple of complete cycles to calibrate the meter. Charge it completely, then use it on battery until it runs down to almost depleted, then again, charge it up, repeat once more.

A laptop is suppose to make your life easier, not give you more stuff to do/worry about.
Don't go paranoid babysitting the battery. Leave it plugged in when in used and if already charged or nearly fully charged and you are done for the day or walking away for hours, by all means unplug it then.

On a new laptop, it's always good to (1)Verify the Charge Cycle Count, if MSI doesn't tell you, then download a utility that will. It should also tell you the HEALTH% which, tada, should be near 100%. Then (2) go through a couple of complete cycles to calibrate the meter. Charge it completely, then use it on battery until it runs down to almost depleted, then again, charge it up, repeat once more.

A laptop is suppose to make your life easier, not give you more stuff to do/worry about.

Solution