laptop battery while gaming..

Batman1121

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015
OK so my laptop has a non removable battery and when i play games on it the battery doesn't even last 2hrs so should i play games while it is charging ? Could that harm the battery or reduce it's life?
PS. Also i've read that you shouldn't use your laptop while it's charging as it can reduce battery life.is this right?
thanks

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
UH yea play while charged. Actually playing games on the battery harms the battery since you constantly drain it and recharge it.

The laptop only uses the AC power when you play while plugged in. In fact you can turn aptops on without the battery

--

So in summary you had the wrong info.

Batman1121

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015

thanks for the reply.
so there is absolutely no harm in constantly using your laptop on ac power ,right?

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

No, it will not destroy you battery. It is a lot better than constantly draining your battery. Batteries have a certain amount of charge cycles in it's life. If you constantly drain and recharge the battery then it will use up the cycles and degrade the battery quicker.

Batman1121

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015

been using it on ac power and temp of hdd and motherboard were quite high (hdd temp reached 45 whereas it's only 35-36 on battery) so don't these higher temps also harm the battery (as well as the other hardware)? Is there something i can do about it?

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

Higher temps are worse for battery, but its still a lot better than draining and charging it all the time. I would recommend getting a laptop cooling pad.

The reason you got higher temps is because the laptop runs faster on wall power than on battery when it would go to lower power mode to save battery life.

There are chances to wear out the battery more when it's constantly plugged in, but newer systems regulate battery charging pretty well and stop trying to charge it when it's full. Plus you said yours is non-removable so you don't have much of a choice either case, either run it on slower speeds due to power saving mode and have it run for only a short time or plug it in and just use it.

Batman1121

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015

thanks for your reply.
Also i had another doubt about cpu temp.My cpu temp reaches 65-70c when gaming (in summers, and tj max is 95c) and when idle it's 35-40c .These temps are normal , right?