Laptop beeps and switches off

Jul 2, 2018
I've had a Stone laptop for about 4 years now, and recently it has begun beeping loudly and then switching off. I searched and this is apparently caused by power issues.

I've had this issue before and it was caused by a dusty battery, after cleaning the battery it was fixed. However this time this did not solve the issue. I've also attempted clearing the interior of dust. I tried to check the System Log in the Event Viewer to see if this gave insight into whether it was a power issue, but the laptop switches off too quickly to do this. It's after about a minute or two of being on.

There's no overheating, the laptop maintains a steady warm temperature and doesn't get too hot. I'm unsure what else this could be; if you have any ideas please let me know as my warranty recently expired and I'm hoping I won't have to shell out a bunch of money to have it repaired.

Solution
You might want to list the name of the specific laptop so we can look at the specs.

If you have seen the issue before and it was a power issue, then it could just be your battery going bad now. Most batteries will fail in the first couple of years, so yours is pretty ancient. Is your laptop able to be booted with the charger in and the battery out? If it keeps crashing even with the battery out, then it is probably the charger going out.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
You might want to list the name of the specific laptop so we can look at the specs.

If you have seen the issue before and it was a power issue, then it could just be your battery going bad now. Most batteries will fail in the first couple of years, so yours is pretty ancient. Is your laptop able to be booted with the charger in and the battery out? If it keeps crashing even with the battery out, then it is probably the charger going out.

Solution
Jul 2, 2018

I've plugged it in with the battery out and now it works completely fine. For now I'm just gonna run it on wall power and eventually I'll look at buying a new battery. Thanks for saving me £80+ in repair fees :D

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018

Nice! Yeah, you probably just need to get a new battery for it.