Laptop black screen but powers on

crazyduck

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
I have a Toshiba Satellite C50-A-15L and i tried to change the wireless network adapter because the old one was playing up. I removed the keyboard, HDD and battery taking off the back case (not in that order though) and tried to replace the card. Turns out it was too big, but I tried it anyway. It was a Intel Wireless wifi link 5100 but upon further research it turns out the card is probably bios whitelisted (blocking it). So I tried to boot the computer with it in but the screen was black. No problem, I thought, just the card. So I put the old card back in and it still has a black screen trying to boot up.

Everything powers on as I can hear the HDD spinning and fan going, but I don't even get a beep from the motherboard to tell me something is wrong. I've tried plugging it into a monitor through HDMI and took out and put back in the CMOS battery to try and restart/clear something to do with the bios (can't really remember). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Is it just the screen, I might have knocked something but this isn't my first time opening up the laptop.

Solution
Hello crazyduck

Although it is unlikely, did you try checking the RAM? You can do so by taking the RAM out of the RAM slot and powering on the laptop. If you hear long beeps, this means the POST (Power On Self Test) failed to detect the RAM and this further means your processor is functioning properly. However you don't have rely solely on the beeps to check the authenticity of the RAM. You can take the RAM and use it in any other laptop to check if it is working fine.

If the RAM is working fine, you may want to check if you can boot your Windows in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 during the system start up). If you can, this means the issue is with the device driver. Going to the Device Manager and uninstalling (or sometimes...
Hello crazyduck

Although it is unlikely, did you try checking the RAM? You can do so by taking the RAM out of the RAM slot and powering on the laptop. If you hear long beeps, this means the POST (Power On Self Test) failed to detect the RAM and this further means your processor is functioning properly. However you don't have rely solely on the beeps to check the authenticity of the RAM. You can take the RAM and use it in any other laptop to check if it is working fine.

If the RAM is working fine, you may want to check if you can boot your Windows in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 during the system start up). If you can, this means the issue is with the device driver. Going to the Device Manager and uninstalling (or sometimes updating) the driver for your wireless LAN card would resolve the issue.

In case you are not able to boot your Windows in Safe Mode either, you can follow the process given here to scan and rectify the corrupt system files.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS