Solved! Laptop Black Screen Issue

Henry4560

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Hey Everyone,

First off thank you for taking the time to read this issue thread, any help would be greatly appreciated. So I currently have three laptops siting at home collecting dust because it is inoperable. I decided to take a crack at fixing it again, but would like to know what exactly the issue is first. Basically all three laptops are having the same problem. When I turn it on, I can hear the fans, keyboard and everything else running except for the screen itself. At first I thought maybe the hard-drive crapped out, but on rare occasions if I just leave the laptop turned on, the screen actually turns on. This takes about an hour, but doesn't happen every time. I did the usual battery checklist for troubleshoot, the reseating of ram, and even bought a new hard-drive to test, but no luck. I feel as though it could be a screen problem, but again it does turn on under rare occasions. My last guess is that there is some motherboard issue. What are you guys thoughts on this?

Solution
Do they come up with external screens attached? If so, you have a DC-DC inverter board issue. Cheaper to get a new laptop, or sell that one on eBay for parts. With an external monitor attached, there should be a FN + some other key combination to make the laptop switch between internal (laptop screen only), external, or mirror.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Do they come up with external screens attached? If so, you have a DC-DC inverter board issue. Cheaper to get a new laptop, or sell that one on eBay for parts. With an external monitor attached, there should be a FN + some other key combination to make the laptop switch between internal (laptop screen only), external, or mirror.

Solution