Solved! Laptop blacks out out of nowhere while using. On a Lenovo Ideapad 700 laptop.

Apr 15, 2019
Hi, I have been using the Lenovo Ideapad 700 for more than 2 years, sticking with it throughout despite having display problems. However, this issue, in which the screen blacks out whenever I use the laptop as per normal, is annoying me.
Mouse clicks, keyboard inputs and shortcuts do not fix the problem either.

I am currently using this laptop for school/work purposes, and want to quickly identify the root of this problem. I am not planning to change laptops, and yes, I have brought this laptop and asked for maintenance for a couple of times. I asked the person-in-charge about this problem, and after checking it, they returned to me saying that it is due to prolonged use of the laptop, causing the display to 'overheat' or be fried.

However, I have connected the laptop to an external monitor before, and never experienced this black screen problem before with the external monitor. I also have took out external USB inputs and the power brick itself to identify external inputs that may be causing this black screen problem.

Is there anyone else who is facing or has faced this problem before? Are there any other solutions in which I have not tried before? I am trying not to go to the extreme and possibly end up spoiling this laptop, as I am not planning to get another one for school/work purposes.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Since you said it only happens on the attached display, and not an external monitor, then it is likely the display itself or the cable that connects it.

If it is under warranty, contact the manufacturer and get it looked at by a different tech. If it isn't under warranty, then you can either try and resolve it yourself or try a local tech.

Should you choose to open it up and look at it yourself, first, clean it out. Dust, debris, blocked vents, etc., could be causing overheating and giving you issues.

After that, then you need to check the cable that connects the display to the motherboard. Carefully disconnect, and reconnect it at both ends, and make sure that there are no tears, bent parts, damage, etc., to it. Should it still do...
Since you said it only happens on the attached display, and not an external monitor, then it is likely the display itself or the cable that connects it.

If it is under warranty, contact the manufacturer and get it looked at by a different tech. If it isn't under warranty, then you can either try and resolve it yourself or try a local tech.

Should you choose to open it up and look at it yourself, first, clean it out. Dust, debris, blocked vents, etc., could be causing overheating and giving you issues.

After that, then you need to check the cable that connects the display to the motherboard. Carefully disconnect, and reconnect it at both ends, and make sure that there are no tears, bent parts, damage, etc., to it. Should it still do this, then you will want to look at replacing the cable and possibly the display.

Solution
Apr 15, 2019
The warranty ended about almost a year ago already. I definitely wouldn't mind sending it for repair, but I have school on all weekdays, and the repairs take like 1 week or even longer... But I see, the problem lies on the display's cable or possibly some dust. I doubt I can handle it myself, don't want to mishandle my laptop and end up spoiling the whole display cable or other components.

Thank you, still! :)