Laptop BlackSOD Help

shayef

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
I believe I have some variation of the black screen of death on my laptop.

I have an HP Pavillion but I'm not sure what the exact model is. The screen is 17.5 in.

When I attempt to turn it on, the fan starts and the power buttons and the like turn on but the screen stays black.

I've already tried draining electricity and I made sure I was very thorough so that didn't help. I also switched the memory sticks around but to no avail so I guess it is possible that they're both shot if that is the problem.

I've tested plugging my laptop into an external monitor using DVI and also into a TV using HDMI but to no avail. Just says no signal or can't find the connection at all.

I'm probably going to take into a local repair shop and I'm sure they can fix it but I figured I'd try here first just to see if I can save a little money.

Solution
If you connected it correctly to an external monitor, and you get nothing on the screen still, then it will need either the graphics card/GPU replaced or even possibly the motherboard. But it is depending on if the external one was done correctly. It must be connected while the laptop is off to start. Then turn on the external monitor and finally turn on the laptop. You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

Again, if you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
If you connected it correctly to an external monitor, and you get nothing on the screen still, then it will need either the graphics card/GPU replaced or even possibly the motherboard. But it is depending on if the external one was done correctly. It must be connected while the laptop is off to start. Then turn on the external monitor and finally turn on the laptop. You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

Again, if you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution