Laptop bluetooth peripherals

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hello people of tomshardware,

This is my first post here and I hope I created this thread in the right forum, I thought the subject would most likely be of its interest.

I have a standard laptop keyboard with a touchpad and it's pretty clunky, I'd like something that has more a feel of a desktop with its full sized keyboard and mouse, possibly without the hassle of plugging them in and out 2-4 times a day as I'm on the move so I thought of using a bluetooth mouse, numpad (if I can an affordable one, or I'll buy a 5$ USB corded one) and possibly an ear bud with microphone so that I could chat online.

I bought an acer Aspire 4730Z and I see it has an integrated bluetooth receiver so I doubt I'd need a dongle for peripheral using that technology. I read that there's problems integrating bluetooth peripherals from different companies (stack order or something ...), sound like some old nightmare stories I heard about IRQ and com ports long ago. :(

Now I'm wondering if it's ok to mix brands and what I should ask for online purchases (for stores I can just demo them). I don't have a lot to spend so knowing how to ebay this would save me some money.

Another consideration, while I think I'll just stick with Vista running Cygwin, I might later dual-boot and install GNU/Linux so it would be nice to know intricacies about it.

Thank you kindly,
DynV

Solution
ok i get your point, to be honest i never used a bluetooth mice or keyb but i guess
its no diffrent because wireless usb uses ifra-red and bluetooth is more powerful
so performancewise there is no issue, the problem is most built-in bluetooth adaptors have such a crappy software or utility what to do is download a tool called "bluesolei" it works with all bluetooth hardware and it makes everything much easier. but i dont know if you can use 2 devices at the same time using the bluetooth.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
hi, the fact is no matter what external keyboard or mouse you buy, bluetooth wireless or even with nuclear power..you still need a desk and cant be used on the move like on a bench or in a bus or car..they called it laptop so you can use everything on your lap..so basically a need of a base

what you may do is get a slim factor keyboard for pc "usb" which has a built-in roller ball as a mouse and put it on top of the built-in keyboard "you'll look odd"
but i bet it works better.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

When I'm on the move, I'm in university so I always have a base : in a classroom, in the cafeteria, in the computer lab, ... That's really not an issue.

I'd like advice with the bluetooth technology and the use of the built-in receptor (instead of dongles that's made especially for that peripheral). This is my main issue and I really need some advice as I won't be able to demo all the peripherals when buying online (stores are sadly too expensive and provide few models). Also, even I'd buy in store, I still could add/change the peripheral list in the future and be stuck with such a problem (the stack order or something and whatever other problems related to that technologies).

Thank you kindly for addressing my main concern.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I don't know why I can't neither edit not delete the reply I just made but here's a correction for it :

[strike]I still could add/change the peripheral list in the future and be stuck with such a problem (the stack order or something and whatever other problems related to that technologies).[/strike]

I still could add/change the peripheral list in the future and be stuck with such a problem (the stack order or something) and whatever other problems related to that technologies ; also please list the problems so I may document myself.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
ok i get your point, to be honest i never used a bluetooth mice or keyb but i guess
its no diffrent because wireless usb uses ifra-red and bluetooth is more powerful
so performancewise there is no issue, the problem is most built-in bluetooth adaptors have such a crappy software or utility what to do is download a tool called "bluesolei" it works with all bluetooth hardware and it makes everything much easier. but i dont know if you can use 2 devices at the same time using the bluetooth.

Solution

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

Great ! Thanks. If others can let me know of other possible problems (fixes would be nice too but the problem is what I need), it would be cool !