Solved! Laptop (broken screen) to external monitor issues.

Frozen Insanity

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
Hey guys,

My laptop screen broke a few months back and I have had it hooked up to another monitor for quite some time. A couple weeks ago it just stopped outputting video to the monitor. I will list the steps I have done below:

1)I tried every key combination, blind navigation etc I could think of or found on other threads

2) Because all this didn't work I tried to clean it out, no result. The only thing I could think of was it booting to some kind of error scan (safe mode is not the issue).

3) I then took the hard drive of the laptop, plugged it into a desktop and found out the windows wasnt working properly.

4) Using my desktop, I wiped the drive and reinstalled windows entirely. The drive boots fine on my desktop. After plugging it back into my laptop it still does not output a signal to my monitor.

5) After trying blind navigation, key combinations etc, I'm completely out of ideas. I do think it boots to windows as my keyboard backlight (which requires steelseries engine to run) turns on after a while.

I appreciate any help that can be offered.

TL;DR: Cleanly reinstalled hard drive on a laptop w/ broken screen is not outputting a signal to an external monitor.

Solution
Hey,

I managed to fix it by taking out the LCD screen (which disconnected the cable of course).

When I booted the laptop when hooked to the monitor it simply booted straight to the monitor, as if it would when you plug the hard drive into a desktop.

Thanks for your reply tho !

Frozen Insanity

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
Hey,

I managed to fix it by taking out the LCD screen (which disconnected the cable of course).

When I booted the laptop when hooked to the monitor it simply booted straight to the monitor, as if it would when you plug the hard drive into a desktop.

Thanks for your reply tho !

Solution