Laptop Builder Sites

LitaShields

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
1. What is your budget?
800-1000, although I would love to come in under budget

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17 or over, I'm not overly blessed in the eyesight department.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
prefer 1920x1080 but I can live with 1600x900

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'm looking for something on the beefier side so I don't expect it to be a thin and light type.

5. How much battery life do you need?
around 4 hrs would be great, altho not sure how feasible it is.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I play SWTOR (Star Wars the Old Republic) and RIFT, High would be fantastic but I can live with Medium

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
College homework and TV watching pretty much. I try not to run too many programs at once

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Not terribly much, 320 or 500

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
NA

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible, 3 years preferably

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
NA

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
NA

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Really not wanting Windows 8, but I don't know how likely I am to get that wish.
Also, back lit keyboard and side number pad. Glossy screen isn't an issue, I don't computer outside much and I'm allergic to the sun (seriously, its obnoxious) so I tend to avoid direct sunlight when possible. At least 6 GB of RAM plus I would like discrete graphics. I've been coming down on the side of AMD the past few years, Intel hasn't really been impressing me. That being said, I can live with either one.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find something that will run a 17.3" display and offer dedicated graphics (to run your games at acceptable settings) with a 4 hour battery life. Many systems - even those not marketed as high-end gaming rigs - tend to last 2 ± hours on battery (and I that's going off 15.6" panels).

If you can't find something within your price range with a dedicated GPU, then look into systems with an AMD A10 APU. Their built-in GPU is better than the current Intel HD 4000, although the processor itself is still put to shame by an i5 and i7.

Clevo and MSI offer good bang for the buck and cater to the high-end. Peruse various OEMs and fire away with any questions you have on system specs and/or purchasing. :)

LitaShields

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

I figured 4 hrs was not terribly feasible. If you have any links available that would great.

Hey again LitaShields,

Given what you're looking for and your budget, the Asus N56DP-DH11 seems about right for you.

Asus site: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N56DP/

Review on model: http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/asus-n56dp-review-radeon-7730m/

There are a multitude of other systems out there comparably priced, though that system will offer you the capacity to give AMD a whirl, if you're really interested.

TRENDING THREADS