Laptop buying advice

600rob

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
So my Toshiba satellite pro a200 recently stopped working and im looking to buy a new laptop as a replacement and was hoping for to recommendations from those more knowledgeable than myself.

As instructed ive filled in the Q and A's below to help with your feed back

1. What is your budget?
£300-400

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
approximatly 15 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want?
not sure, my old machine was spec'd as follows:internal resolution : 1,280 x 800 this was fine for me

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
A bit of both really, i dont mind if its a little on the heavy side.

5. How much battery life do you need?
as good as possible.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games will be used

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
internet, photos, word processing, mainly internet use. streaming videos also

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
150GB at least

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
none so far

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
as long as it will last so something robust and reliable

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
cd/dvd rom/writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
i previously had a toshiba satellite pro A200-1U3. this was really good and apart from a couple of ac adapters failing i had no problems for four years until it stopped working a few weeks ago. This was my first laptop so i don't have anything else to compare it against hence i am considering all well known brands

13. What country do you live in?
UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

i was looking at this on a special offer but based on my recent experience with toshiba im a little unsure.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5086689/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/2|14418968|Laptops+and+netbooks|14419039.htm

Hello 600rob;

That looks to be a good value @ £330.
The Pentium B940 2.0Ghz dual core CPU (Sandy Bridge family entry level CPU) should handle the type of work you mention nicely.

600rob

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks WR2

does anyone have any non toshiba sugestions as i had to replace my ac adapter 3 times on the old machine and they arent cheap at £50 from toshiba.

Thanks
Rob