Laptop Buying Guide Help

shiblulh

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Hi all, I am a University Student and am looking for a laptop to buy within the next couple weeks. Here goes:

1_What is your budget? $500-$800

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.4-15.6"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter though preferably 1280x768 or more and LED

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5_How much battery life do you need? At least 3 hrs

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Rarely any, but sometimes old games, such as COD4 at Med-High, Age Of Empire 3 at High

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Main purpose is for school and will be lightly using autoCAD, SolidWorks, an MATLAB. Will be watching movies too, some light video editing from time to time.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 250GB or More

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. None

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3-5 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD Writer

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Really doesn't matter though I am leaning towards HP
Other brands: ASUS, ACER, SONY, GATEWAY, etc

13_What country do you live in? Canada

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. Would prefer the processor to be Core 2 Duo or Core i3/i5

15_Any RAM preference? Strongly going for 4GB or MORE RAM

Also I checked out the HP G62t series, and it seemed nice, would that be reccomended for my needs?

The specs for HP G62t can be found here:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Processor&v1=Intel&series_name=G62t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/Intel/G62t_series